I want to send an SMS from my server i.e from my webpage. I need to know do i need any device related to this or can it be done with programming. Is SMPP is a protocol like SMTP or SMPP is a hardware. please reply me quickly.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

SMPP is a protocol, it is used to connect to SMSCs (Short Message Service Centres) which connect to actuall providers via SS7 which is connected to hardware.
There are quite a few Java APIs available for SMPP, my favourite is OpenSMPP, But doing such processing directly in JSP is not advisable, use JSPs just for displaying your content your processing should be done is Servlets, beans.

Ok fine. I need the code to send SMS. Can i actually send the sms for free or do i need to signup any contract with sms providers for this.

Ok fine. I need the code to send SMS.

I am not here to give you ready to eat food, just to help. See the javadocs of OpenSMPP and find your way around.

Can i actually send the sms for free or do i need to signup any contract with sms providers for this

You definitely need to sign up with a provider to send smses. Just search for "bulk sms providers" and you should get a pretty comprehensive list. I am currently not aware of any providers who would allow you to use their service for free (apart from testing their service that is)

Alternatively you can also send messages using the GSM Modem. For that you can check out the SMSLib API, the GSM Modems use a SIM Card which is charged for every SMS you send.

commented: Nice post, with good reasons +9

Thanks for the reply.

Can u tell me approximate price of GSM modem. I searched internet lot of models are available. Do you any Brand in Mind. ? Suggest me i have to buy

Thanks in advance

Well I have worked with an older version of the BenQ GSM/GPRS G-32R Modem, which connects on the serial port of my PC, It should cost you around 6000 to 8000 Indian Rupees,
There are also a few modems which connect on the USB port, but I haven't worked with them.
Also now-a-days many cell phones for ex the Nokia 7110 can be used as a GSM Modem by using the DLR-3 cable. This is a good option for you currently as you seem to be just starting up with messaging as you may be be to use your cell phone directly rather that buying any equipment before hand.

The advantage that GSM Modem offers is that you will also be able to receive Smses, but in case you are planning for a high volume of SMSes to send you should look the bulksms providers option cause it may be cheaper and the speed of sending SMSes will definitely be faster (GSM Modems are slower, they might send at most 3-4 SMSes per minute depending upon your model).

Thanks for your answer.

Can i mask the sender if am sending through GSM modem. i.e i want a name "klnce" as the sender name instead of mobile number.

Thanks in advance.

Can i mask the sender if am sending through GSM modem. i.e i want a name "klnce" as the sender name instead of mobile number.

No Idea about that as I have never tried it with a GSM Modem.

But I do know for a fact that many bulk sms providers do allow you to set your own sender-id, depending on the destination you are sending to. (cause in some countries you need to pre-register the sender-id you would like to use)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.