$Name = "db"; //name of the database to be used
$Table = "tabledb"; //name of the table within the database

mysql_connect ($Host, $User, $Pass, $Name, $Table) or die 
("unable to connect to database");
@mysql_select_db("$Name") or die ("unable to select DB");
$sqlquery = "SELECT * FROM $Table WHERE opinion = 'is horrible'";
$result = mysql_query($sqlquery);
$number = mysql_num_rows($result);

IMHO, definitely upgrade MySQL if you can (depends on data migration basically). Just remember the later the version the more stable and feature rich the release. One other thing about connecting to MySQL or any other SQL server for that matter. However if your data set is small or reproducible then by all means proceed with the upgrade to the latest "stable" release.

Now back to your MySQL connect issue. Since the connect operation is your authentication into the DBMS it should be treated as an atomic operation. That is, pass or fail. Similarly the select is critical unless somehow your app can switch to a different DB which is highly unlikely. So.... here is an example you can customize that uses the die() function. From a networking perspective - MAKE SURE YOU CAN USE MySQL Query or MySQL Administrator with the user name, password, and DB so that you can prove the context. If it fails then you must GRANT access most likely.

<?php
define("DB_USER", "dbuser");
define("DB_PASSWORD", "dbuser99");
define("DB_HOST", "192.168.1.220");
define("DB_NAME", "test");

// Connect to the MySQL server
$db_connection = mysql_connect(DB_HOST, DB_USER, DB_PASSWORD) or
die('Could not connect to MySQL: ' . mysql_error());

// Select the database
mysql_select_db(DB_NAME) or die('Could not select the database: ' . mysql_error());
?>

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.