I am an not so experienced developer and could od with some help. The problem I am trying to tackle is as follows:
I would like to enable the site-administrator, when logged in, to renew the occupancy calendar of a holidayhome in Mysql. The occupance file on the desktop that needs to be loaded can be HTML or Text. The source of these is an excel file with twelve months of the year.
Can someone help for instance by showing me the PHP syntax to use?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Sounds like your taking over someones old CMS.
You need to research and develop or redevelop each bit by bit (administration, uploading, etc).
If you have no previous PHP knowledge this will take you awhile to figure out, else you may need to employee someones services.

Sounds like your taking over someones old CMS.
You need to research and develop or redevelop each bit by bit (administration, uploading, etc).
If you have no previous PHP knowledge this will take you awhile to figure out, else you may need to employee someones services.

First, thanks for the fast response. I conclude however that I possibly did not state my question clear enough. So here once more .......
I did build the site in question myself. I used Dreamweaver CS3 for the initial build but had to refer to PHP coding to get a lot of the interactivity goiing. But as you probably conclude I am an inexperienced PHP-coder.
Here some detail about my site........
On my site a visitor can go to a page with a form that after completion he/she submits, the submitted data get stored in a table in Mysql and the visitor gets an e-mail confirmation with the data he/she submitted.
Here what I build for the siteadministrator....
The index-page has a link for the site administrator that leads him/her to a log-in page which redirects to a page with selection-links. One of these links has to become a link to a page that will enable the site administrator tot pick a datafile from his/her system and use it to replace the old datafile in Mysql. I succeed getting the new datafile (a calender with twelve months of the year) on a page where by clicking the submitting button I would like to upload it into Mysql. This is the fase where I have the problem I can't seem to get the new datafile to replace the old one in the table (txt or BLOB) in Mysql. The datafile I want to upload is an excelfile wich I can convert into text or HTML. But the issue I am trying to adres is uploading (after conversion if needed) any file into Mysql.
I hope this makes my question more clear and that someone can help or tell me where to find the necessary documentation or tutorial.

So the only problem you having is converting and uploading the excel file, correct?

If so you should be able to use excel extension .csv to format this and import into mysql. If there are further problems it would be possible to try use phpmyadmin along with the csv file and check a few export and import features to come to a solution.

Let me know if this helps and I understood your problem correctly.

you can transfer data to mysql via csv or text file.

you can transfer data to mysql via csv or text file.

Please see the attached code, it shows what I try to do. When running this code (I do use Phpmyadmin) it shows both the old calender and the new one plus an error message that probably originates from the fact that I don't use the right syntax in the UPDATE statement. Am I making a proces-error or is it just the syntax that is wrong? ( In the attached example I left the submitbutton out of the code!)
Here the code:

<?php 
//THE DATABASE IS CALLED "BEZETTING"
require_once('Connections/conn_bezetting.php'); ?>

<?php
mysql_select_db($database_conn_bezetting, $conn_bezetting);
$query_Recordset1 = "SELECT * FROM kalender";
$Recordset1 = mysql_query($query_Recordset1, $conn_bezetting) or die(mysql_error());
$row_Recordset1 = mysql_fetch_assoc($Recordset1);
$totalRows_Recordset1 = mysql_num_rows($Recordset1);

?>

<?php 
//BY USING PHPMYADMIN I LOADED THE TABLE IN THE DATABSE WITH A CALENDER WHICH I THEN SHOW ON THE PAGE. 
echo $row_Recordset1['bezettingkalender']; 
//exit ("stop");
?>

<?php
//THE DATAFILE "KALENDER" I COPY OF THE DESKTOP. IT REPRESENTS THE NEW DATAFILE TO BE LOADED INTO THE DATABASE.
include 'C:\Documents and Settings\bsmits\Bureaublad\kalender.txt'; ?>

<?php
// HERE THINGS GO WRONG. I CAN'T SEEM TO GET THE RIGHT SYNTAX TO UPLOAD THE NEW DATAFILE WHICH IS SHOWN ON THE PAGE.
$insert = "UPDATE kalender SET ('bezettingkalender')" .
	"VALUES ('C:\Documents and Settings\bsmits\Bureaublad\kalender.txt')";

$results = mysql_query($insert)
  or die(mysql_error());

echo "Data inserted successfully!";
?>

I will be offline for 3 days from now. So as of next monday I can react to anyone that provided help. Have a nice weekend.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.