Is there a way to validate an email by checking it's existence?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

As far as I know there is no way to see if an email is a valid one. (otherwise spammers would be in heaven). But there is a technique used to make sure somebody is using a real email. I dont know what your application is but lets say somebody is signing up to be a member on your site, or any sort of application. You will probably need to give them information after they hit submit. (username, password, receipt info....) any of these things you could display on the "confirmation page" but why do that. If they are using a fake email for whatever reason, you'll never know. Just send them their username, password etc. to their email. This keeps them honest. They must check their email to do anything else, therefore it must be valid

By the way, a lot of these things have nothing to do with JavaScript

That's a great idea. Do you think java servlets or jsp would be the tool for the job if this really isn't for javascript? I know it would be a lot of server side stuff, right?

I agree having a confirmation process would be a good idea. Alot of sites will have the user click on a link in thier email before they are "offically confirmed". you can use java script however to make sure the user enters a properly formatted Email address.

<script>
<!--

/*Email Check script credit-JavaScript Kit (www.javascriptkit.com) 200+ free JavaScripts here!
*/

function emailcheck(cur)
{
var string1=cur.email.value
if (string1.indexOf("@")==-1)
{
alert("Please input a valid email address!")
return false
}
}
//-->
</script>

<form onsubmit="return emailcheck(this)">
<strong>Enter your email address please:</strong><br><input type="text" size="20" name="email">
<input type="submit" value="Submit!">
</form>

<p align="center"><font face="arial" size="-2">This free script provided by</font><br>
<font face="arial, helvetica" size="-2"><a href="http://javascriptkit.com">JavaScript
Kit</a></font></p>

Excellent! That really helped a lot because that was my next venture! Thanks.

Hi,
I am not familiar with JavaScript very well, but despite the fact that where it says "enable" in "internet options" I checked the box, most of the sites still don't work. What could be the problem and how to fix it?
THANKS in advance,

-Roza

Im not sure what you mean. Where is enable, IE options? or in HTML? expalin a little more

IN internet options->security->custom->scripting-> ENABLE

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.