Hey all,

Heres the code of an ASP I'm working on...

------------------------------------begin ASP-------------------------------------

<%@ Language=VBScript%>
<%
artist=Request("artist")
album=Request("album")

Set con1 = server.CreateObject ("ADODB.Connection")
Set rs1 = server.CreateObject ("ADODB.Recordset")

con1.Provider="Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"
con1.Open (server.MapPath ("\databasecore\mediaguide.mdb"))

sql = "UPDATE artistinfo SET UserAlbumReview='"&TRIM(Request.Form("AlbumReview"))&"' where artist ='"&artist&"' and album =

'"&album&"'"
rs1.Open sql,con1
%>

<html>

<head>
<title>Add Album Review</title>
<meta name="Microsoft Theme" content="profile 111, default">
</head>

<body>
<form name=review method="POST" action="review.asp?done=1">
<p align="center">
<textarea rows="8" name="AlbumReview" cols="31"></textarea></p>
<p align="center">
&nbsp;<input type="submit" value="Submit"><input type="reset" value="Reset"></p>
</form>
&nbsp;</body></html>

--------------------------------------------end ASP---------------------------------

What I want is that when a user enters text in the textarea, the same should be inserted in the field named UserAlbumReview

in the database. However, this isnt happening. Nothing is inserted in the database. However, if I bubstitue a phrase in the

SQL query instead of the Request.Form statement, the string is inserted properly.ie, if I change the SQL query to

sql = "UPDATE artistinfo SET UserAlbumReview='Test Review' where artist ='"&artist&"' and album = '"&album&"'"

then the phrase "Test Review" is inserted in the database. The values for artist and album are passed as parameters. Can any of you guys please help me? Thanks in advance.

For starters you need troubleshoot your variables...

When my sql is not working properly I like to write it out to screen before it executes to see what are the actual values being passed.

Response.Write(sql) and comment out the
' rs1.Open sql,con1

Also I'm not sure Request("myTextbox") is a proper way of retriving form variables in ASP. I always use Request.Form() or Request.QueryString()

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.