I have a javscript function which opens a url....The only thing is I need it to open pages with parameters, and I'm not sure how to do it:

<html>
<head>
<title>LinkOpener</title>
<script language="JavaScript">
<!-- 

function SearchTest(url, args)
{
	// if args is null, do the following
	window.open(url,'win1','width=600,height=700, status, toolbar, menubar, scrollbars, resizable')
	// else
	// implement your code
}

// -->
</script>

<body>
<h3>Search Test:</h3>
<a href="#wf" onClick="JavaScript:SearchTest('http://www.msn.com','')">GET request</a>
<br>
<a href="#wf" onClick="JavaScript:SearchTest('http://www.ntis.gov/search/results.asp?loc=3-0-0&search=',[B]'frm_qry_Category=ALL&frm_qry_Search=earth&frm_qry_Search=AND&frm_qry_Search=&frm_qry_Search=AND&frm_qry_Search=&frm_qry_Year=1990&frm_qry_MaxRec=100&frm_qry_Rank=1[/B]')">POST request</a>

</body>
</html>

If you can point me in the right direction or help me out in any way, I would really appreciate it.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Simply concatentate URL and ARGs. In fact, you don't even need a separate variable and/or call for "args". They are simply part of the URL.

Simply concatentate URL and ARGs. In fact, you don't even need a separate variable and/or call for "args". They are simply part of the URL.

You can do that, but that doesn't make it using a post method. This was actually a problem my friend had, and we used some kind of xml thing to do the job, because javascript alone can't make post calls. I wish I could remember the name of it. It may have been called ajax or something.

Well, you can only POST a message using a POST query. Any parameters passed via a URL, create a GET query.

Now, you could use JavaScript, to create a form, a lot of invisible variables, populate those variables, then call the form's "submit()" method, which will POST the form. You can only do that on a page you "own", of course.

"AJAX" is a funny little beast - it refers to scripting the XMLHttpRequest object. It doesn't do a POST, it fires off another request, "behind the scenes", so that the user doesn't see any page refresh.

Well, you can only POST a message using a POST query. Any parameters passed via a URL, create a GET query.

Now, you could use JavaScript, to create a form, a lot of invisible variables, populate those variables, then call the form's "submit()" method, which will POST the form. You can only do that on a page you "own", of course.

"AJAX" is a funny little beast - it refers to scripting the XMLHttpRequest object. It doesn't do a POST, it fires off another request, "behind the scenes", so that the user doesn't see any page refresh.

I guess AJAX was it. I remember working with the XMLHttpRequest. My first intentions was to create a form, because I have seen examples of 'dummy' forms created which do basically the same thing I was looking for. Either way I appreciate the replies.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.