I haven't learned how to do my own javascript but I have some snips from the HTML editor I use (1Page). I'll like to insert some of them into my pages (which I know how to do) but as an external linked file. Is there an easy way to do this like the CSS is?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Save your script in a file with a ".js" extension, for example, "myExternal.js" Do NOT put <script> tags in the file. In your HTML, you reference the file:

<SCRIPT language="JavaScript" SRC="myExternal.js"></SCRIPT>

Save your script in a file with a ".js" extension, for example, "myExternal.js" Do NOT put <script> tags in the file. In your HTML, you reference the file:

<SCRIPT language="JavaScript" SRC="myExternal.js"></SCRIPT>

Don't you also need to put in 'type="text/javascript"'?
Actually, my problem isn't in the html document. I don't have a clue as to how to format the javascript file. Is it done like the external CSS?

Also, I read that FireFox doesn't recognize external js. What I was reading though was written in October and FireFox has updated twice since then. Do you know anything about this?

Whether or not you need "type=" depends on which doctype/HTML version you're using. Firefox parses external JavaScript just fine, and always has. What do you mean by "format" when you say you don't know how to format the JavaScript file? It's a file that contains JavaScript, pure and simple.

I guess what I'm asking is this . . .

Will it work it I put more than one script into an external file the why I put several styles into an enternal css file?

Any collection of JavaScript variables, functions, and objects can be called a "script". Yes, you can put them all into the same file.

At this point I think you have enough information to experiment. I think you'll be able to answer most of your own questions by trying it out. If not, let us know!

Any collection of JavaScript variables, functions, and objects can be called a "script". Yes, you can put them all into the same file.

At this point I think you have enough information to experiment. I think you'll be able to answer most of your own questions by trying it out. If not, let us know!

Yes, I have enough info. now. I know I've been a bother but with my physical disability, any way to avoid mistakes which will result in more time trying to correct them I do. It saves me from a lot of frustration.

Thank you tgreer.:)

You've been no bother at all, you've used the forum for exactly the reason it's here: to ask questions and get enough info to tackle problems. I was just, perhaps tactlessly, encouraging you to learn via experimentation. In my experience, that's the best way to learn!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.