I need a reliable text editor where I can edit just the text & not the code.

I don't like CMSs, so please don't even suggest them :)

I was going to use Contribute, until my web developer told me it doesn't work with external PHP files.

It would also be great if it could read forms b/c Contribute wouldn't read the form on the page & so once it got past the form, it crashed the page.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Michelle

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Notepad++ and Homesite+ both I use always.

Your question isn't very clear. What is it that you wish to edit? For a good general-purpose text-editor, I like TextPad.

If you want a way to edit your web pages, in order to periodically tweak the content, I suggest "SnippetEdit". It's an editor that allows you to modify your pages, directly within your browser, in a WYSIWIG fashion: http://www.snippetedit.com

Ok, I guess I shouldn't assume that everyone would understand that the text editor is for the text on my web pages.

Does that one add code to the pages when I edit like DW?

What about not having to see all the code when I edit?

I already have something he developed, but I'd have to make sure I don't touch the code when I edit & I don't want to worry about that.

Thanks

Michelle

Your question isn't very clear. What is it that you wish to edit? For a good general-purpose text-editor, I like TextPad.

If you want a way to edit your web pages, in order to periodically tweak the content, I suggest "SnippetEdit". It's an editor that allows you to modify your pages, directly within your browser, in a WYSIWIG fashion: http://www.snippetedit.com

DW is Dreamweaver? I've never used it, so don't know. The SnippetEdit demo should answer all your questions. But, the way it works is that you add "<snippet> </snippet>" tags around whatever content you wish to edit. Browsers/users of your site will never see them.

You, however, as the administrator, do. It doesn't matter how the text or images are displayed (HTML, PHP, whatever), as you are only editting the CONTENT, inside your browser, with a WYSIWYG editor. Run the demo, you'll understand.

The developer, I must say, is a friend of mine. He's also a member of Daniweb and moderates the PHP forum here.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.