hi,
I am working on an asp application using c# and i can import excel file to sql table
i have two columns in excel and as well as in sql of same name "id" and "status"
when i import data both columns are imported to sql table in the same sequence

is there in any way that i can match the id of both tables and where id are same i'll extract status from excel table and insert into sql table?

Recommended Answers

Okay so let me make sure I understand this right

First of all, have you successfully written the Excel file to an SQL Table?

Secondly, if an item has a same ID from the Excel file, then you extract it's status and add it to the SQL table.

If I …

Jump to Post

All 4 Replies

Okay so let me make sure I understand this right

First of all, have you successfully written the Excel file to an SQL Table?

Secondly, if an item has a same ID from the Excel file, then you extract it's status and add it to the SQL table.

If I am understanding you correctly, what you simply need to do is take the data out of the Excel file, store it in a 2D array (or List), and do some comparisons in there, with copying data to a new 2D array (or List) if it meets a criteria. Then finally, write that second 2D arrray (or List) to the SQL Table

angel yes u r quite right
let me explain it more
i have copied both columns from excel file to a tbl_temp sql table now i have IDs already present in my working(original) table what i want to do is to match the id from temp table to original table and put the status from tbl_temp to tbl_original
more specificaly
if id of tbl_temp = id of tbl_original
then status of tbl_temp = status of tbl_original
i have found this query
INSERT INTO tbl_original status SELECT ID FROM tbl_temp WHERE <condition>;
bt what should b the condition?

Okay so I think I see where you are coming from now, and let's look at that SQL statement you posted (FYI my knowledge of SQL comes from SQLite, which uses the same statements).

When I was working with SQLite, I started to build a list of functions in a class, that I could then reuse the class anytime I used SQLite. Well one of the functions was used to edit values. So I tweaked my statement a little to hopefully support your needs.,

UPDATE tbl_temp SET STATUS='place status here' WHERE ID='place ID here'

What this says is, in table tbl_temp, when every you see this ID (where I put "place ID here"), replace its status value with the specified status (where I put "place status here").

Does this help at all? All this does is update your data. I hope this is what you are looking for and I am not misreading it still (facepalm for me if I am)

This article is in C# and Vb.net and its simple. It uses SQLBulkCopy class.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.20 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.