Hello. I hope this is the right section to ask this question. I need some help with my coding. I've been working on trying to write a div code so I could modify my myspace profile, because it is a good hands on enviroment for playing with HTML and I can show off a little as far as graphics are concerned and arranging elements. Anyway, everything was going good untill I tried to add in some coding to work a BG image over one div. I built my code up from fragments. I used some codes to hide tables of my base profile layout and then overlap it with a div, without covering ads, and still covering up the remains of what I could not hide of my profile. I then used a basic profile editor code to add basic colration to what I was too lazy to figure out how to color (which I'm not sure if it is creating a conflict or not). I have divs after this coding and so far I've been able to add in scroll baoxes, images, text, edit bg color, transparency, and move them around. I proceeded to just add in the line:

background-image:url("");

That didn't work, the BG color stuck and the image didn't load. I tried a gif image and even a jpg image to see if that would change the result. I looked back on onther div works I made a year ago to confirm that one part of the code was correct even, because I figured if the code for images as backgrounds of divs worked before, must that line be faulty then? I added in the extra details to signify repeating backgrounds, and even background possition. The only thing I can assuse is that either the code is faulty or maybe I have to give the background image a margin left and margin top code, but I'm not sure exactly why the image would require that information to possition itself in line with the div, as if it was not in line I'd have figured the image to show up overlapping another div or something like layers.

here is the code I'm using:

about me section (hide code)

<br />
<style type="text/css"> .mainhl { position:absolute; left:50%; top:125px; width:800px; z-index:1; margin-left:-400px; padding:0px; border:0px; background-color:transparent;} </style>
<p>

I'd like to meet section (2nd part of hide code)

<DIV class="mainhl"></p>
<table style="width:800px; height:750px; cellpadding:0px; cellspacing:0px; border:0px solid 000000; background-color:000000;}">
<tr>
<td valign="top"></td>
</tr>
</table>
<p></DIV></p>
<div style="display:none">
<table>
<tr>
<td>
<table>
<tr>
<td>

Heros section (editor code and my divs)

<style type="text/css">

.hot-lyts { Created using Hot-lyts.com - www.hot-lyts.com }

.hot-lyts1 {content:"background properties";}

body {
	background-color:000000;
	background-image:url();
	background-position:default;
	background-attachment:fixed;
	background-repeat:no-repeat;
	cursor:;
}

.hot-lyts2 {content:"Table properties";}

table, tr, td { 
	background-color:transparent; 
	border-style:none; 
}
table table { 
	border: 0px 
}
table table table {
	background-color:404A58;
	background-image:url();
	background-position:Top Center;
	background-repeat:no-repeat;
	border-color:;
	border-style:solid;
	border-width:;
}

table table table table { 
	background-image:none; 
	background-color:transparent; 
	border:none; }

.hot-lyts3 {content:"Text and Link properties";}

.orangetext15, .lightbluetext8, .whitetext12, .nametext, .btext, .redtext, .redbtext {
	color:A0F707; 
	font-size:12pt; font-style:normal; font-family:,arial,verdana,sans-serif;} 

body, div, p, strong, td, .text, .blacktext10, .blacktext12, a.searchlinkSmall, a.searchlinkSmall:link, 

a.searchlinkSmall:visited { 
	color:A0F707;
	font-size:10pt; font-style:normal; font-family:,arial,verdana,sans-serif;}

a, a:link, a:visited, a.navbar, a.navbar:link, a.navbar:visited, a.man, a.man:link, a.man:visited, 

a.text:link, a.text:visited, a.text:active, a.redlink:active, a.redlink:visited, a.redlink:link {
	color:FAB607;
	font-size:10pt; font-style:normal; font-family:,arial,verdana,sans-serif;}

a:hover, a:active, a.navbar:hover, a.navbar:active, a.man:hover, a.man:active, a.searchlinkSmall:hover, 

a.searchlinkSmall:active, a.redlink:hover, a.text:hover
	{color:FAD307; 
	font-size:10pt; font-style:normal;
	font-family:,arial,verdana,sans-serif;
}

body, div {
	scrollbar-face-color:057AF7;
	scrollbar-3dlight-color:035FC2;
	scrollbar-shadow-color:035FC2;
	scrollbar-darkshadow-color:070707;
	scrollbar-arrow-color:7CFA08;
	scrollbar-track-color:474746;

}

img{border:0px;}

.endhot-lyts {content:"www.hot-lyts.com";}

</style>

<div style="width:250px; height:500px; position:absolute; z-index:2; left:50%; top:0%;
margin-left:-400px; margin-top:190px; text-align:center;background-color:161C34 !important;"><br>My General Intrests Are:
</p>
<div style="margin-left:20px; width: 200; height: 50; background-color: 414A59; font-family: arial; font-size: 11px; color: F9B607; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; text-align: left; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: C2F707; overflow: auto; padding: 5px;">TEXT
<br>IMAGES
<br>SURVEYS
<br>WHATEVER
<br>HERE</div>
<p>
<br>My Music Intrests Are:
</p>
<div style="margin-left:20px; width: 200; height: 50; background-color: 414A59; font-family: arial; font-size: 11px; color: F9B607; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; text-align: left; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: C2F707; overflow: auto; padding: 5px;">TEXT
<br>IMAGES
<br>SURVEYS
<br>WHATEVER
<br>HERE</div>
<p>
<br>My Movie Intrests Are:
</p>
<br>IMAGES
<br>SURVEYS
<br>WHATEVER
<br>HERE</div>
<p>
<br>My Video Game Intrests Are:
</p>
<br>IMAGES
<br>SURVEYS
<br>WHATEVER
<br>HERE</div>
<p>
</div>

<div style="width:250px; height:60px; position:absolute; z-index:2; left:50%; top:0%;
margin-left:-400px; margin-top:130px; text-align:center;background-color:414A59 !important;"><br><font size=4>CHAOS APOSTLE</font></div>

<div style="width:550px; height:300px; position:absolute; z-index:2; left:50%; top:0%;
margin-left:-150px; margin-top:390px; text-align:center;background-color:161C34 !important;"><br>
</p>
<div style="margin-left:20px; width: 500; height: 250; background-color: 414A59; font-family: arial; font-size: 11px; color: F9B607; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; text-align: left; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: C2F707; overflow: auto; padding: 1px;"><br><center>HOME | ADD | MESSAGE | FAVE | PICTURES | COMMENTS | FRIENDS | BLOGS</center>
<br><br>Hey!</div>
<p></div>

<div style="width:550px; height:260px; position:absolute; z-index:2; left:50%; top:0%;
margin-left:-150px; margin-top:130px; text-align:center;background-color:414A59 !important;"><br>image here</div>

<div style="width:800px; height:60px; position:absolute; z-index:2; left:50%; top:0%;
margin-left:-400px; margin-top:690px; text-align:center; background-color:transparent !important; background-position-x:center; background-image:url("http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd57/chaos_apostle/bottom-bgpart.gif"); overflow: auto;
background-repeat:repeat;">bottom div</div>

I appreciate any advice/help to fix my error. My goal was to find a way to hide everything on a myspace profile for the exception of everything above the top nav links (when no code is used to hide them) so that I could just edit the page BG and use divs to arrange my profile, with the divs having BG images attached for presentation, so I have more options to be creative. I was happy to figure out that I could do the divs like I did in the first place, I'm just not sure where to go to now that I have this problem with attaching BG images. Again, thanks for any help/advice.

- Brett

Syntax errors:

- You broke the body style with the cursor style without any attributes.

- You broke the body style by not putting the # on the beginning of the color string 000000

- There is no url string in the url function.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.