I have been working through an "Introduction to PHP" book that has been very useful but i'm stuck on the mail() function. The syntax looks pretty simple but when i actually try and run the code on my pc and try to send an email to my hotmail account i get the following error message:

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in D:\Web\WebServer\Apache2\htdocs\WROX\chapter11\firstmail.php on line 2

The settings in php.ini are

[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = localhost
smtp_port = 25

; For Win32 only.
sendmail_from = me@example.com

which was defaulted in.

My specific questions are:
* What should these settings be to allow me to send outgoing emails? (I don't need to to receive anything, just make sure i'm happy with the basic functions).
* Is the sendmail_from field open to abuse as it could be set to anything? - i.e i could pose as someone else.
* Do i need to install any extra software (a mailserver) or can i configure Apache for this?

In short, what steps do i need to take to send emails from my PC to hotmail?

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

btw,
OS is XP and i'm running Apache 2.0

Thanks,
Peter

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Options:

1. Install Sendmail or a similar SMTP server
or
2. Use the SMTP settings from your email account. (so PHP will connect to your outgoing mail server just like your email programs do)

Member Avatar for fatihpiristine

i posted this send mail before search it here..
works withing and without smtp server

i am having the same EXACT problem and cant get an answer anywhere....if you got an answer email it to me please at [email]berns99999@gmail.com...than[/email]king you in advance

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.