0

...

>> Refusing to help anyone in the forums is, to be honest, not going to sway anyone to your point of view. If something is going to be changed it ... will not get changed as a result of holding any forum to ransom.


oooh. that's fear, right there. i believe we found the pressure point.

Votes + Comments
Your a huge idiot for not using the quote tags wrong. Get a freakin life.
0

However, I think blaming Dani for the ills of the new design is a bit unfair.

I do not agree on this part. It was Dani who ordered the re-styling of the site, wasn't it!
So, if the re-styling turns out wrong, it Dani to blame. I do however agree that we should give her some time to fix things.
But... it seems that some things won't change no matter how much we (the users) complain.

0

Dani most certainly is listening, and acting upon many of the points raised in this forum. However, there is a difference between listening and accepting every argument made.

There is a clear consensus on two issues - the quotes system and readability. Font size is the biggest issue affecting site usability, yet nothing has been changed, despite almost everyone who commented complaining about it.

The reason I'm no longer posting in the help forums is because, for example, the simple act of scanning the thread listings is frustrating. To continue to post in those forums would indicate that I find the current state of things usable, which I don't. I do not think that my opinion is more important than anyone else's in regards to the site design, and if Dani refuses to change certain things, I understand that. But since I no longer find it enjoyable to post, I won't be posting anymore if certain things don't change.

2

>I do not agree on this part. It was Dani who ordered the re-styling of the site, wasn't it!
So, if the re-styling turns out wrong, it Dani to blame. I do however agree that we should give her some time to fix things.
But... it seems that some things won't change no matter how much we (the users) complain.

Yes, I suppose ultimately, you can lay the blame, if that's what you really want to do, at Dani's door. However, I have the utmost sympathy for an admin/owner who wanted to revitalize a site, for, I believe, all the right reasons. The fact that it hasn't turned out to be a runaway success is a greater disappointment to her than it is to any of us. I really think that. Some things won't change - no - and perhaps rightly so. My views on Purple have probably bored other members to tears, but I can't see it changing - it seems that only a handful of us aren't too keen on it.

Now, you can correct me if I'm wrong on any of the following, because I just don't know. I'm assuming that Dani is not a dotcom millionaire on the back of this site. I joined for free, have had a great couple of years posting, arguing and flying off the handle. Great! Unless some of the disgruntled crew here are complete masochists, I believe the same is true for them. As ~sos~ frequently states, "change is good". I have issues with that, but I do see the point of change. I think that the change in this case was necessary. Staying the same for eternity, will mean that many will move on and go to 'better' sites.

I will continue to protest/post about the odd feature that I don't like. I'm posting more now than I did before the change. That isn't a conscious thing - and it certainly isn't down to my ramblings about the new design - just a bit of self-analysis.

Votes + Comments
You signature is hilarious.
A level-headed rant :-)
0

>> As ~sos~ frequently states, "change is good". I have issues with that, but I do see the point of change.

Change is only "good" if the goal is progress and improvement and in the process of changing you can adapt to the latest fashion. But the first purple Daniweb missed many of the possible improvements. Only after a lot of complains, some things have improved.

2

>Change is only "good" if the goal is progress and improvement and in the process of changing you can adapt to the latest fashion. But the first purple Daniweb missed many of the possible improvements. Only after a lot of complains, some things have improved.

Yes, it must be said that the first iteration was awful. If there were no complaints, it is possible that Dani would not be aware that there was a problem. But in fairness, we all use DW in different ways. An 'improvement' for some will be a retrograde step for others. Now that I've had time to 'cool off' and stop being a knee-jerking reactionary fool, I've come to see the benefit of the majority of the changes. It ain't perfect, but there again, it ain't as bad as I first thought. I'm not an establishment sort of guy and I'm certainly not a brown-noser, but give her her dues, she's worked bloody hard to improve many of the things that were causing problems.

0

Okay you guys are utterly ridiculous. If you don't like the design, GOOD BYE. No one really gives a shit. Keep that to yourself. I mean seriously, complain much?

I'm going to start 25 threads complaining about the huge amount of complaining. I'm new to Daniweb, but I seriously won't be here too long if all I see are the most active members complaining this much about a nice looking design that is WAY better the the old design (which looked like a website straight out of 1994). You know what, I have a better idea, go start your own forum.

As for this design firm, Jess3, from the looks of their portfolio they have some serious clients. Wall Street Journal, Mashable... two big ones I noticed.

So please, complaining people:****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by happygeek: keep it pleasant

Votes + Comments
New member and already added to my completely ignore list
Needs to clean up language when posting
0

...

I'm new to Daniweb, but I seriously won't be here too long

Hi. thanks for sharing :)


.

Edited by jephthah: n/a

0

Okay you guys are utterly ridiculous. If you don't like the design, GOOD BYE. No one really gives a shit. Keep that to yourself. I mean seriously, complain much?

I'm going to start 25 threads complaining about the huge amount of complaining. I'm new to Daniweb, but I seriously won't be here too long if all I see are the most active members complaining this much about a nice looking design that is WAY better the the old design (which looked like a website straight out of 1994). You know what, I have a better idea, go start your own forum.

As for this design firm, Jess3, from the looks of their portfolio they have some serious clients. Wall Street Journal, Mashable... two big ones I noticed.

So please, complaining people: STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for your point of view.
Please keep it pleasant as per the forum rules.

0

..

Okay you guys are utterly ridiculous. If you don't like the design, GOOD BYE. No one really gives a shit. Keep that to yourself. I mean seriously, complain much? So please, complaining people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guy. I know you sound mad. But it will be okay. Because you see, we're not really fighting, we're discussing. And no matter what, none of this your fault, and we all still love each other. I promise.

Now run along back into bed, okay sport?


.

Edited by jephthah: n/a

-1

You're not really discussing - your just complaining. Your still using quotes wrong, even though Dani told you 4 pages back how to properly use it and you are going against her direct request (on purpose).

Seems like your the one who is out of line, and I'm just calling you out on it. Sorry if you don't like the attention.

0

...

your the one who is out of line, and I'm just calling you out on it. Sorry if you don't like the attention.


I will be crying in my pillow tonight, I hope you are satisfied. :(


.

3

>I'm new to Daniweb, but I seriously won't be here too long if all I see are the most active members complaining...

Goodbye.

0

Dani you need to take the feedback of your users way more seriously. You didn't fix the quotes to anyone's satisfaction (still hidden by default, still hard to read due to black on gray) and you also have made no changes to the large fonts.
(I know I said I was leaving, but Community Feedback forum doesn't count.)

:p

Ultimately, you must ask yourself why am I stopping at this site? Why do I keep coming back often? It is a choice.
Personally, I don't come for the "pretty color", nor because this site is "the ultimate in design pleasantries", far from it. I frequent the forum, at times for some entertainment; some times to see if there's anything interesting been asked in the programming arena; sometimes for the desire to communicate an idea; or just connect. A post here, a post there; I get the feedback of someone thankful for the help received, as often as the "loud and irritated tone" of someone that disagrees. Still my choice.

This is not my site. It is not a democracy. Still will be here if I don't visit anymore. My opinion is just as irrelevant as others opinion. My suggestions are just that, suggestions. My help is only helpful when the recipient feels so. With this mind set I will be here for selfish reasons until I feel like, and no color-scheme nor design boo-boo seems to diminished this selfishness, at this time. I will not try to impose my opinion coercively, even when I am on the majority. In fact, it is worrisome when you find yourself on the majority side.

Now, all said, "fellas, I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!" And this purple color is not helping it.

0

yeah, the color sucks. it's the most immediately visible chgange and causes a visceral reaction. But it's also the most superficial and the least of everyone's concerns.

the larger issues are that the things that people appreciated most are now gone, and things we never expected to be a concern (such as basic readability) are now real problems.

it truly begs the question, 'why am i even here?'. i used to enjoy participating. now, when i open up the webpage, it just makes me annoyed.


.

Edited by jephthah: n/a

Votes + Comments
*agrees*
0

jephthah> it truly begs the question, 'why am i even here?'.
We all know why you are here: for the drama, off course. ;) [warning]Cheap shot![/warning]

jephthah> i used to enjoy participating. now, when i open up the webpage, it just makes me annoyed.
Seriously, now. I used to be 18 years old and I loved it, now I am older and while it is annoying I go on.
The point: there are plenty of things beyond our control. Huffing and puffing doesn't change it.
Specifically, we have expressed our opinions. That's it.

[Edit:] I forgot that here in USA we have two extra tools named Lobby and Patronage. But both requires money.

Edited by Aia: n/a

Votes + Comments
meh
0

>> My opinion is just as irrelevant as others opinion. My suggestions are just that, suggestions. I will not try to impose my opinion coercively, even when I am on the majority.

>> This is not my site. It is not a democracy. Still will be here if I don't visit anymore. My opinion is just as irrelevant as others opinion.

I have no authority here and cannot force anyone to do anything. Accusing me of being coercive is therefore just a strong statement with no basis. And the freedom to express your opinion is an inherent right, democracy does not grant it.

I hope I have not misunderstood or quoted your post out of context, but it seems to me that you understood my actions out of context. My decision to discontinue posting in the other forum isn't a threat. IMO, sitting idly by, despite the fact that I have no intention of continuing to post here if certain things don't change, makes no sense whatsoever.

0

BestJewSinceJC> Accusing me of being coercive is therefore just a strong statement with no basis.
Never accused you of such. I used your post as a point of reference; just an example of the sentiment reflected by many, in the life of this thread and others similar, concerning the recent changes. Definitely, I did not make a reference to anyone in particular other than myself.
If you read it again with that view, perhaps you can get closer to understand the original intended message.
Apologies if I gave you that impression.


BestJewSinceJC> And the freedom to express your opinion is an inherent right, democracy does not grant it.
That right there could be a whole new subject by itself, but not today, and probably never in this venue.
We all have expressed many opinions already, and we continue to do so. We will never be short of opinions; I could bet on it if someone were willing to lose money.

1

I don't know anything about this developer, but it's funny how their own homepage looks like a mishmash of crap all slapped together at the last minute, in one big long run-on stream with hardly a concern ot organization or presentation....

Well I dont wanna make anyone on the staff mad at me but WEB DESIGN HAS GONE TO CRAP LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE TODAY IN THE WORLD :(

I dont understand why people are satisfied with garbage!!

For example look @ this and tell me which one you think looks nicer

1) www.globaltuners.com < (THIS IS THE DESIGN THEY JUST CHANGED TO)

2) http://new.globaltuners.com < (THIS IS THE ORIGINAL DESIGN)


I THINK #1 IS COMPLETE CRAP AND I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW THEY CAN BE SATISFIED WITH THAT!! (I even posted a thread there about it)

http://new.globaltuners.com/forum/thread.php?tid=676

Edited by The Dude: n/a

1

>> Never accused you of such. I used your post as a point of reference; just an example of the sentiment reflected by many, in the life of this thread and others similar, concerning the recent changes.

Fair enough, lets move on and be grateful that Daniweb doesn't look like the site that The Dude linked to.

:)

Votes + Comments
Amen
0

> lets move on and be grateful that Daniweb doesn't look like the site that The Dude linked to

At least it's not Purple. But, crap they both are - I'd rather browse them in Lynx!

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.