On average, 7-10% of the adult population is Left-Handed (If wikipedia is to be believed).

After a discussion with a co-worker, we reckon that there is an above average population of us leftys in an IT profession.

So which are you?

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

Bearing in mind we're not all IT professionals...

lefthandedness has been associated with a greater than average ability for logical thought and problem solving, which would explain the higher than normal percentage of lefthanded people in the sciences and IT.
Of course one isn't the cause of the other, rather they're both probably caused by related differences inside the brain.

lefthandedness has been associated with a greater than average ability for logical thought and problem solving.

Ahhh -- so that explains why my son is so bright (he has a BS in computer science) :)

My best friend is the exception that shatters your theory.

commented: :D +4

My best friend is the exception that shatters your theory.

Um, no, unless his theory is that you literally cannot be logical and have good problem-solving skills without being left-handed, then you've done nothing but provide one more statistical point for him to plot.

Gah. Do you have to be such an insufferable little buzz-kill all the time? It's like you're on some kind of forum-scourging fallacy-correcting psychopathic duty.

My point? Know a joke when you see one.

Did I just earn my first infraction?

EDIT: I can't believe I just wasted my 600th post on you...

commented: You're right - this truly was a waste of a post. -1
commented: Well, if you're joke is stupid... and no one cares you hit 600 posts -2

Congrats scru for numero 600!

I am left handed, but just looking at my science class fellow students, I fall into the usual 10% lefties in class. Actually, my art classes have more lefties.

mainly right but i am ambidexterous, cant use a nouse with my left hand though.

I'm kind of ambidextrous. I've been taking notes in class with my left hand for the last... 4 months. I'm not certain why, but I am certain that when it comes to exam time I'll curse the day I decided that was a good idea.

There is a very interesting (possibly tongue-in-cheek) theory on handed-ness put forth by William H. Calvin in his collection of essays The Throwing Madonna. Homo Sapiens sapiens is the only mammal that is predominantly right handed - other species are roughly 50/50 whether left or right handed. I like his theory a lot - I especially like the all the essays in this book.

Righty

There are still many parents that punish their children for being left handed. They think that the devil is left handed.

still?
My mother suffered that, got caned when she used her left hand and eventually had it tied behind her back for days to force her to use her right hand for everything.

My teachers tried to make me change from writing left handed as well, but not forcibly (they just wanted to see if it would improve my test scores, it didn't, that took glasses as the reasons my scores were dropping was that I couldn't read the questions from the blackboard).

still?
My mother suffered that, got caned when she used her left hand and eventually had it tied behind her back for days to force her to use her right hand for everything.

My teachers tried to make me change from writing left handed as well, but not forcibly (they just wanted to see if it would improve my test scores, it didn't, that took glasses as the reasons my scores were dropping was that I couldn't read the questions from the blackboard).

Sorry to hear that jwenting! That is just awful to happen to a young person. Bigotry against left handed humans is so stupid!

It is, let's all be happy that whatever we're going through isn't as bad as what our parents and grandparents had to endure.

There are still many parents that punish their children for being left handed. They think that the devil is left handed.

It is even built into our language: sinister (a sinister person) is Latin for left, gauche (oh, how gauch- ie socially awkward) is French for left and adroit (that was adroitly done - ie, gracefully) is French for right.

Jut to confuse thing when giving directions in French - droit is forward and adroit is righ, try hearing that distinction in Paris.

And lest we forget, lefty is a 4-letter word.

Left? Right? I am more a middle of the road person. So guess what I am using to get things done?

And lest we forget, lefty is a 4-letter word.

???
Lef-T?

Good point EnderX,

Lefty is a 5 letter word, Left is a 4 letter. Had a long day when counting there Dave?

I think what he's trying to say maybe be one of two things:

Being left handed is considered wrong and taboo

or more likely

Calling people lefty is wrong and considered taboo

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.