Member Avatar for Geek-Master

Have you ever wonder what to do with some things that come "extra" with computer stuff, for example "AOL CDs :lol:, clear CD-Rs, etc."

Those clear CD-Rs that come in the bundle packs, that are on the bottom and top of the stack, can be useful. I'm using them as coasters for my endless supply of Mountain Dew ^^.

Just to see what other people do with their "extra" stuff. Plus some good ideas for those on tight budgets ;) .

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

I have to really old computers that I completely stripped and catorgorized all the hardware, lol I have yet to find a creative useful thing to use the old hardware for.

>lol I have yet to find a creative useful thing to use the old hardware for.
Two words: battle bots.

Two (or more!) desk chairs with castors, mountains of old hardware, plenty of duct tape, and a half-dozen brave interns makes for an entertaining day at work. :D

I'm using my Mac as a desk ornament until I figure out how to upgrade the darn thing, if possible. System Software 7.5. Until then, its screen gets important papers taped to it as a reminder board.

Someone stole my idea for making earrings out of various matching computer chips & parts... they're making a profit from it when it should really be me.

you could hook up three things on one IDE cable and then.....

someone i know got 100's of the free AOL cds form woolworths in town and put flash CD Labels on them - then converted them to clocks. AND SOLD THEM! well played i thought.....

Member Avatar for Geek-Master

Battle Bots...now thats somthing I have to try.

I have two boat anchors "Old Computers", and they are just sitting here in my room. Get them 2 to fight one another would be awesome!!!

Battle Bots...now thats somthing I have to try.

I have two boat anchors "Old Computers", and they are just sitting here in my room. Get them 2 to fight one another would be awesome!!!

haha good luck :-|

We use all the aol cds to frighten away birds from the garden. Just put them on strings and let them blow in the wind. The flash from the shiney side keeps the birds from eating all the fruit and veggies before their time.

Old hard drives make quite attractive 'Techie' desk accessories. Get 3 of them, remove the top plate to expose the internals, and use cable ties through the screwholes to join them in a triangle, standing on end.

They make very functional Pen tidies, which DON'T tip over when you use them!

Catweazle, I dont follow, could you elaborate?

Take 3 old ones of these:

[img]http://www.dansdata.com/images/1394drive/quantum360.jpg[/img]

Remove the top cover of each so the innards are exposed like this:

[img]http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00005OWE4.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg[/img]

Then stand them up, with the connector sockets pointing downward, and the innards pointing outward, and use a few cable ties through the screw holes to hold them together in a triangle, with the underneath of each drive facing inwards.

Then use it as an ornamental Pen tidy!

ok, the pictures were unnecessary. But its all gravy, after further evaluation, I have deciphered the instructions.

I have an old hard drive it has got a massive 250MB storage space on it :-)

But I don't have three so I can't make a pen holder :-( what can I use it for?

Kev

Door stop?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.