OK, let's see how creative everyone here is...
I have everything I need to build a computer except a case. I don't want to buy one, can anyone recommend some good alternatives to cases?

I remember once I built a conputer inside a table, but that thing was HUGE and I don't have a table I can drill holes in :(

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

OK, let's see how creative everyone here is...
I have everything I need to build a computer except a case. I don't want to buy one, can anyone recommend some good alternatives to cases?

I remember once I built a conputer inside a table, but that thing was HUGE and I don't have a table I can drill holes in :(

ok nows a challenge :lol:

i remember reading an article is PCPLUS www.pcplus.co.uk a few months ago where they built one that looked like an ammunition box. if i remember rightly it had something to do with half life 2

any old stereos around the house?
Maybe an old VCR you no longer use?

That microwave looks ready for replacement.

come to think, maybe I shouldn't have returned that broken down microwave to the store when buying a new one a few months ago...
Remove the glass door and put a 15" flatscreen in its place, with a DVD writer mounted next to it...
Everything else vertically in the electronics bay, should be more than enough room.

stop it!!! now you're inspiring me. think my mum oughta watch her stuff.:lol:

She'd hardly notice if she's a good mum and does real cooking :cheesy:

She'd hardly notice if she's a good mum and does real cooking :cheesy:

well shes an ok cook. :)

saying that though i wish this thread had been posted earlier because my brother blew his hifi up and i was wondering what else i could use it for. he's binned it now:evil:

Check here: http://www.mini-itx.com/

They've done everything from a WinXP retail box to a dvd player to even a sega genesis. Very entertaining to browse through their hundreds of original PCs.

Go to full archives for links to everything.

i like it.. its just soo now. just goes to show that you can put a motherboard inside... well just about anything

i put my system in many place before i finally put it in a normal case.

i put it in my table draw, a microwave case before. it looks fun when it is in microwave case and people say when i want a microwave in my bed rooms

I have seen someone suspend all the hardware from the ceiling with fishing line. Everything was setup as it would be in a case, just the string was shortened or lengthened so to put the hardware were it was supposed to be. Not very good ventilation, gets dusty, and chances of damaging hardware increase with this, might be fun to do with an old computer though.

How about an old Microwave...

an old microwave is a good idea.

i think there would be a risk of the pc dropping on your head if you suspended it from the ceiling. now that would hurt one. ;-)

I thought the microwave might work because you could use the M/W display for displaying temp. You could rig the start button for your power.
Plenty of room inside the door to mount CD/DVD Roms and removeable media. Lots of venting on the back of the M/W. Maybe eve rig a LCD display for the door...

Try it in a game console case, like a Xbox or a ps1.
Or maybee if you have one of those big old rc cars lying around

How about one of those red portable gas containers?

a little explosive eh belama ;-D

i think an ammo box or something like that.

the possibilities are virtually endless.

You could try shoving it all in a suitcase or you could put it in a old tv!

check out newegg.com for their case moddings. look at some of the things they have done in the past. my favorite is the newest winner the fireplace

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.