Hi. I need to get a new PC. Mine is 5 years old and starting to show it's age - I can't play any good games. :-) So, I need a computer to play games (Civilization IV, fantasy RPG's, etc...) and just for regular home use. Checking email, writing letters, budgets, Quicken, etc... I don't need a super powerful machine - I don't play shooters or ever play online. I do love LOTR style fantasy games, so maybe those do need a lot of power. Can I get the kind of machine I am looking for for under $1000? Can anyone give me some suggestions for a brand? I won't be building my own machine - I am not very good at that stuff. I need one that I can sort of plug and play with.
THANKS!

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Go to Frye's - they have pretty powerful laptops for under $500.

If you have ever played with legoes, you can build a machine; if you have a son, its kind of like a bonding experience(so mabe I'm exagerating) but neweggs IS having a sale, so you might want to consider it; besides, what can possibly go wrong?

Hey! check out this build-it-yourself kit. Those 3 glowing blue cases are built from the Lubik kit - I have seen an airplane and many really weird sculptures built from these kits. You have to have the plans worked out in complete detail before you start.

If you get a notebook, don't get an HP, it has a lousy keyboard, get a Toshiba, Sony or Acer. Also, looks like the little Acer notbook comes with Widows XP rather than the frustrating Vista.

You can get a Dell computer for under $500.00 USD at Wal-Mart. Or go online at www.walmart.com to see other models. Sorry is this post seems spammy, but I'm just answering the original post.

Well, if you find a computer that does housework, let us know!

You can get a Dell computer for under $500.00 USD at Wal-Mart. Or go online at www.walmart.com to see other models. Sorry is this post seems spammy, but I'm just answering the original post.

Or maybe not.

Or maybe not.

Huh? How does that link relate to this discussion?

Do not buy a laptop to play games - the graphics just are not able to keep up with gaming demands. There is not enough cooling and you can't upgrade the graphics card.

Huh? How does that link relate to this discussion?

It's a site about the evils of Wal-Mart.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.