i run the computer club at my high school, i need help what should i do next in my computer club? we have made mp3 radio shows and until we get our own computers we cannot install "illegal" (aka downloaded off kazaa) on the school comps. we can use freeware and stuff but we cannot take the comps apart. so if you have any ideas on what we should do next please tell me thanks a lot

-ED

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Are you guys good programmers? If you guys are, here is a document I wrote for the Hofstra CSC club.

http://www.pride.hofstra.edu/~dromer2/

You can also schedule events. For example, go to meetings, like the ones held by Macromedia, Linux, Microsoft, etc. Look into stuff by the ACM and AITP. If you're interested, let me know.

well i can can program in C++ and in visual basics but the rest of the people have no clue and get confused in htlp :: rolls eyes :: and we really cant go to any meatings and stuff like that bc we live in noware usa there is nuttin around here........

i run the computer club at my high school, i need help what should i do next in my computer club? we have made mp3 radio shows and until we get our own computers we cannot install "illegal" (aka downloaded off kazaa) on the school comps. we can use freeware and stuff but we cannot take the comps apart. so if you have any ideas on what we should do next please tell me thanks a lot

-ED

Well you cannot use "Warez" pirated software off of kazaa, winmx ect.. I guess you could do a coding contest, for the most creative, original designs ect..

Research the history of computer related stuff and write about it!

Heres the adlib you show to the class:
I've always wanted to know where the idea of __________ (computer related noun) came from! Let's do some research and find out!

Then, make few nice webpages with the history, and post it somewhere on the internet. I would be excited to read it :-D.

You can use those machines to check out Linux (a good idea for any student of computing) by using Knoppix -- it's a CD-bootable Linux distribution, so no installation is required. It includes Internet, graphics (The GIMP), office software (OpenOffice.org), games, and more. If you can access the BIOS to set it to boot from the CD, you're all set; if not, you can create a boot floppy and go from there. Although the hard drive icons appear on the desktop, the drives are not mounted until you either left-click on the icon or right-click and select Mount. Similarly, write-access is turned off by default, but can be turned on.

Knoppix is excellent for checking out Linux, but it can also be used as a rescue disk for Windows, as it has drive-imaging and partition-editing utilities. It's quite useful. I'm using it right now to post this message. The CD makes a good install-disc, as well.

It's free. The download links are available on the main site http://www.Knoppix.com and the unofficial support site is at http://www.Knoppix.net, which I frequent as Loper.

Any questions?

yea, linux/unix stuff is good. oh and u HAVE to do DOS, man nothing beats a classic. Also checkout other opensource OS's out there, trust me there are many. though many are in alpha and beta form.

also getting your own systems should be fairly easy. you can get pentium 2/3 systems dirt cheap. just shop around. i built my cousin a computer(pentium II 350), i bought the bare bone for 5, hard drive for 10, ram for 15. 30 US dollars for a good system for learning and general use.

honestly people need to learn more about the options they realy have with computers. its all about experimenting, that what i love about them

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.