for the past week when my computers been starting open a box called system32 opens and its lkie a program folder almost. how do i get it to not open up during startup?

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

Is it actually a folder? there is a folder called system32 in your windows directory. Run msconfig from the run command box and see if you can find it in the start up tab. Can't think why it might be opening on start up and it might help if you could post a sreen shot of the offending box.

Cheers

i tried to run msconfig in the run tab and it says "Cannot find the file 'msconfig'(or one of its components). Make sure the path and the filename are correct and that allrequired libraries are available, and it is an actual folder that comes up.

sounds like a corrupt windows :\ You may need to reinstall.

for the past week when my computers been starting open a box called system32 opens and its lkie a program folder almost. how do i get it to not open up during startup?

Its like a program folder almost ,just what does almost mean !! it either is a folder or it isn't !1 explain a little better please !:)

its the same as when you go into my compuer and open up folders from there so yea it is a folder box. sorry for the confusion.

its the same as when you go into my compuer and open up folders from there so yea it is a folder box. sorry for the confusion.

not to sound mean but there is no such think as a folder box ,its a yellow folder ,does it come up open and if so whats in it .if its not opened ,right click on it and hit properties and tell me how big it is and how many files are in it !!thanks

its just the box that all your files are in. its like the box that interne explorers in but its all your programs and this one keeps popping up when my computer comes on. i dont have a yellow folder for it anywhere so im not sure why it opens but it has alot of files...too many to count

Here is a fix for you problem but it might be a little more than you feel confortiable do so you might what to get someone who knows computers to help !!when ever editing the registry you should always bak it up ,do this when you open the registry,go to file /export and give it a name you will remember, save it to you mydocuments folder

follow this !
Here is the solution:
Click on Start/Run and type regedit and click ok. Then navigate
to>Hkey_local_Machine/software/microsoft/windows nt/current
version/winlogon. In the right box go to shell it should read Explorer exe
windows\system32\system32.exe Right click on shell open modify and delete
windows\system32\system32.exe. LEAVE EXPLORER.Exe.in tack and reboot.
This will fix your problem.

after i do all that where you said i should find Explorer exe
windows\system32\system32.exe it only has the explorer.exe it doesnt say anything with system32. a file that is a few below it called Userinit C:\WINNT\system32\Userinit.exe i dont know if thats what im looking for or if its a completly different thing.

after i do all that where you said i should find Explorer exe
windows\system32\system32.exe it only has the explorer.exe it doesnt say anything with system32. a file that is a few below it called Userinit C:\WINNT\system32\Userinit.exe i dont know if thats what im looking for or if its a completly different thing.

No that wouldn't be it ,i checked mine and that the closest thing i have to dont remove that !! You could try Start/run ,type in MSCONFIG ,go to startup and check to see if something is checked that looks like C:\windows \system32.exe ,don't change any just post back if you find anything that looks like that .

Or you may have some spyware or trojen problem in my sygnature there are some programs and unline virus scand do the virus acan and if nothing download ,update and run Ad-aware .

when i try MSCONIG in the run a message comes up saying "Cannot find the file 'msconfig'(or one of its components). Make sure the path and the filename are correct and that allrequired libraries are available. I have Spybot, and lavasoft adware which i ran yesterday, and i ran my virus checker which found a virus that it couldnt disinfect. that might be the problem but i cant get rid of it.

i have windows 2000 pro...i ran the antivirus and it was unable to remove something called "Trojan horse downloader.skoob.e" so i tried to put it in the virus vault but it said it cant be removed.

win2000 ,thats why the msconfig didn't work it doesent have it ,but you can install the msconfig for win98 and it will work ,

Windows 2000 does not have the MSCONFIG program that was provided with Windows 98.
You can try using the older Windows 98 version of MSCONFIG.

Copy the file msconfig.exe ,to the Windows 2000 c:\winnt\system32 folder.
Download the msconfig.exe Windows 98 file from our site if you do not have it easily accessible.

Click | Start | Run | and type msconfig on the text box and click the OK button to start MSCONFIG
ignore the error messages you get about not finding the following files
config.sys
autoexec.bat
win.ini
system.ini
Click the startup tab
Check or Uncheck the check boxes of the programs you want to run or not run

http://www.techadvice.cc/files/s29k2/w98/msconfig.exe

i have windows 2000 pro...i ran the antivirus and it was unable to remove something called "Trojan horse downloader.skoob.e" so i tried to put it in the virus vault but it said it cant be removed.

do you have a antivirus program installed on your computer !if not you should get one !

ok i did everything you told me to above. i unchecked the box in the startup tab and then my computer was restarted and the system32 folder came up again...so i did the msconfig again and the box was checked so i tried again and it still opened when i started the computer...i checked the msconfig and the box is still checked even after i unchecked it.

I think you problem is spyware releated ,there are a few programs in my signature that might help ,spybot and ad-aware,update before running ,post back if they remove the program that is causing problem ,also you might want to getthe hijackthis program to ,run and scan and post log here ,do not fix anything in hijackthis yet ,post log first and i'll have a look at the log ,

ok for the hijack this when i go to download it i guess i need to unzip it but i dont know what program to use. i think i have winzip but its not in the box that comes up with the selection to choose from...im not really sure where it would be to use it

If the file doesn't have a zip icon from one of the zip programs ,then you mos tlikely don't have a zip program on you computer .
go to www.winzip.com and download the evaluation version

I was having the same problem. After trying the MS suggested registry fix I tried the msconfig fix and found two blank lines in the startup section. I deselected those entries and now all is well. I do not know what the lines related to. There was a box with a check in it but no info after the box.

thebum1128

ok i got the hijack this thing to work and you said to post my log file but theres some stuff that mentions ip adresses and that stuff so im not sure if i should post all of it incase someone comes in and take my information...so what should i do?

PM me with the post I don't care about you ip address and no one else will see you log.to PM just click on my Name and select Private Message to caperjack

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.