I cant find any info for this withoud installing some app. I have a HUGE upgrade that I'm working on (50,000 PC's) and It would be really nice for some of the batch files to reboot the PC's automatically after they are done installing the components. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

I have a HUGE upgrade that I'm working on (50,000 PC's) and it would be really nice for some of the batch files to reboot the PC's automatically after they are done installing the components.

EDIT: Shutdown.exe is part of an upgrade pack for 2000 (not included), but included in XP and Server 2003.

Put it into the startup folder ( C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\ ) and every time the owner turns on or reboots the computer, it'll crash, bringing up the blue screen of death. A reboot is almost always insured!
If you are insane enough, go to your start menu, click run. Type either: c:\con\con or c:\aux\aux And hit enter. Now enjoy as your computer crashes infront of your very eyes!! A SImple way : Go to Start Run Clear everythig thats already there type in: C:/CON/CON or C:/AUX/AUX and hit enter crashes instantly!! It also works when u type the command in the InterNet Explorers address bar.

Is that what your talking about!

Put it into the startup folder ( C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\ ) and every time the owner turns on or reboots the computer, it'll crash, bringing up the blue screen of death. A reboot is almost always insured!
If you are insane enough, go to your start menu, click run. Type either: c:\con\con or c:\aux\aux And hit enter. Now enjoy as your computer crashes infront of your very eyes!! A SImple way : Go to Start Run Clear everythig thats already there type in: C:/CON/CON or C:/AUX/AUX and hit enter crashes instantly!! It also works when u type the command in the InterNet Explorers address bar.

Is that what your talking about!

LOL thats a good one for future reference Big B, but not quite what i need, I dont want to crash the clients PC's but want the last line in my batch files to reboot the PC's. The only other 0ption I thought of was to copy shutdown.exe from within the batch file to a local directory, run it and either leave it or remove it when the last batch file is run.

To operate this system most easily, you will need a small utility called WARM.COM (Ed: Possibly similar to one on MELB 526 - check first. I use one called REBOOT COM from the APC magazine set which enables me to do a cold boot or a warm one.) or some similar utility that does a warm boot to the system.

(If you don't have this utility there are other ways - see later.)

Now all we need to do is make a batch file for each group of applications that will copy the relevant set of files and then restart the system with a warm boot.

All the batch files could be combined into one file. However for clarity, they are shown here as separate files.

For example my batch file to set up my normal, small, applications

NORM.BAT

C:
CD\
COPY AUTOEXEC.NOR AUTOEXEC.BAT
COPY CONFIG.NOR CONFIG.SYS
WARM

The batch file to start Ventura is -

VEN.BAT

C:
CD\
COPY AUTOEXEC.VEN AUTOEXEC.BAT
COPY CONFIG.VEN CONFIG.SYS
WARM

And the Xerox Presents file is -

PRE.BAT

CD\
COPY AUTOEXEC.PRE AUTOEXEC.BAT
COPY CONFIG.PRE CONFIG.SYS
WARM

In each case, the CONFIG AND AUTOEXEC file for each application, are copied to become the actual CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files. Having done this the system is then restarted with 'WARM'.

Once the system restarts the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files now contain the correct information for each group of applications.

Are you trying to EXECUTE the batch file over all 50,000 comps

I have to compile a cd to update all PC's to W2K SP4, IE 6 SP1, MS03-040-045, Adobe 6.0, and some other industry specific app upgrades. I have written some batch files but 2 they all need restarts before the next one can run. The batch files are all basically automated save this one problem (reboot automatically). I dont think I want to change the autoexec.bat or config.sys files, if there is an easier way, but if not then I'll try this (post #5). Thanks.

Batch files - Shutdown and Reboot

Scroll down left and right .....DUDE its the MOTHERLOAD of BATS

Thanks, I saw this one but notice what it says for 2000.

thanks Big B:
I downloaded the shutdown.exe from this site:

www.budja.com/shutdown/

used the switch -r

and it worked.

thanks for the help

No problem as long as you have the fix now.
PS: dont forget about the computer prank.(post#3)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.