In class I have an annoying Algebra 2/Trig Teacher... and she calls the sophmores her pet peeve and calls the freshmen (5 of us including me :D) pet peeves in training... So I decided to ask what is your pet peeve?

My pet peeve is lazy people... how about yours?

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

A lot of grammar peeves such as

People who don't know how to use reflexive pronouns

"How are are you?"

"I'm fine. Yourself?"

It's called reflexive because it reflects back. You can say "I will do it myself" because "do" relects back on "me". You can't say "If you need more information please call myself" because "call" refers to an action by some other person than you.

People who use "I" instead of "me" thinking that it makes them sound educated and proper

"There has always been tension between my mother and I." If it's the object (of a verb or a preposition) then use "me". If it is the subject then use "I".

Boy... People with bad grammar and use slang... That is really annoying...

I agree Jim!

she calls the sophmores her pet peeve

So your teacher calls her students an annoyance? Sounds a bit self-defeating to me.

Living in a busy city where I walk everywhere I go, my pet peeve is all those people who just shouldn't be walking in a busy city. You know: those who walk slow and unpredictably drift from side to side so that you can't walk pass them without busting a few dancing moves; those who's field of vision is limited to the few inches of their cell-phone's screen, and inevitably bump into people or into things; those who don't understand that they should stick to the right side (right as in "not left") when crossing people coming the other way; etc. etc.

People who use "I" instead of "me" thinking that it makes them sound educated and proper

@Rev: You must hate the expression "Me, Myself and I". I totally agree with yourself.

Yeah, we are not her favorite class... You mess with her, it's like taking a bullet through your skull, twice!

I have been to NY once, and it was crowded! So i know what you mean when you mention those slow walkers...

I know that the language is constantly evolving but THERE ARE RULES, PEOPLE!

I hate it when I am shopping and the someone in the aisle ahead of me parks their shopping cart across half the aisle, then blocks the other half with their body while they scan the shelves.

I hate it when people stop in doorways to

• check their bill
  • look for their car keys
  • anything else

It basically boils down to people who don't bother to think about anyone else.

Well anyone who stalls time that we can't get back is a pain in the rear don't you say?

My peeve... having a snippet that simply refuses to work, and spending ages trying to find why, only to discover a stupid typo like a missing quote or something.
@Rev, I hate when they get to the checkout, wait for half the store to go through, and then decide to look for the chequebook, pen, card etc;!

I understand what you mean... baddly written short snippets end up becoming a long painful procedure in figuring out why they don't work... that's why people end up getting templates....

I hate it when you're waiting at a road crossing or an elevator and someone else arrives and pushes the button. What do they think you were doing? Just standing there trying to work it out? I always want to say "thank god you turned up! I could have been here for hours!"

Maybe it's just me...

ravenous, well it could be annoying for someone to push buttons... but that's only if they are making a rythm from the buttons..... That's annoying lol...

baddly written short snippets

Or how about snippets that don't mention that they don't work unless you add a reference and do an import and bloody well good luck trying to guess which ones

... Reverend Jim... you don't realize how much I agree with you...! :)

My pet peeve is Axe body spray. It is everywhere I go: in public transit, the malls, etc.

I think it smells terrible, and some young guys seem to bathe in it. I can't believe people are paying good money to make themselves smell like that. I prefer the smell of insect repellant. Seriously.

In my high school lockerroom for athletics change out, the whole room smells like axe! So i know exactly how you feel, but you don't know what it's like to be trapped in a "small" room with over 80% of the people using axe while others use old spice... Luckily i am the only one that considers using the gilette liquid deodorant so i don't wreck someone's sense of smell...

I am puzzled that so many people actually like that smell enough to buy it. There are so many other scents to put in a can and spray on your body. Why is this one so popular right now? It really has an edge to it and makes your eyes water.

Well it at least atracts girls in a way (from boys stand point)... but on the label of axe it never mentioned that people would become hostile and hate the person wearing the "axe" if they detect it with their noses... :)

I am puzzled that so many people actually like that smell enough to buy it. There are so many other scents to put in a can and spray on your body. Why is this one so popular right now? It really has an edge to it and makes your eyes water.

It's cheap and has a remarkable marketing campaign. Put those two elements together and there's little that cannot be accomplished. Including convincing young people to wear something akin to skunk scent.

Going along with your pet peeve, mine has to be people who wear too much cologne/perfume. Whether it smells good or not, there's a such thing as too much. I shouldn't have to smell someone fifty feet away.

I think it is called Axe because standing next to someone wearing Axe is like being hit with one in the face. In my day (way way back) the pollutant of choice was Brut.

@Reverend Jim

In my day (way way back) the pollutant of choice was Brut.

I'm with you there. still like the smell of Brut, that and Old Spice, not too much of it though!
Can't get either here.

There are certain word pairs that have very specific rules for their usage and my nerves rage when they are misused:
farther/futher
fewer/less
There are others but these seem to show up more often.

Sometimes, it is like axe-murder to walk into the dressing room and be overwhelmed by the cloud of Axe clinging to everything. Do those guys actually believe that pouring that stuff all over their bodies will lead to gorgeous models pawing them?

Well axe does attract models... to stay away from axe users lol.

The worst part is that in a locker room, lots of people use axe and they share it! Plus they spray other for no reason even if they are girls!!!

Yes axe is commercially successful, but it's a failure to attract those with noses...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.