Gents & Gentle Women,

What features would you like in a searchengine as a:

Searcher (buyer/shopper/consumer).
Website (vendor/seller).fed-up of the searchengines. They have not changed since 1998.
Let's brainstorm a new way of searching websites via searchengines. Meaning, we used to find links via link directories first whewre we had to click through categories and subcategories to find the right -links. Then we started using searchengines when they came along where we search for keywords and the SE presents us links.
Fedup finding links this way now. 24yrs is enough.
let's think of other ways.
In short:
What Would You Like To See In Tomorrow's 2023 SearchEngine ?

Men & Gentle Women,

Have a ...
Happy Christmas & A Merry New Year!

PS - Did you understand the 3 jokes ? If so, what were they ? ;)

Recommended Answers

All 56 Replies

More of what Google does (and is doing more and more of) in terms of answering questions directly without having to visit any links.

@Dani

Thanks.
Ok.But that is old stuff.
I meant new stuffs.
I will add some of my own, what I would like to see.
A. Whenever we click links on SERPS and go to the searched website and webpage, we need to scroll down the page to come to the content (link description) that was mentioned on the SERP. I would prefer my browser auto scrolled me to the appropriate part of the page and highlight the content that was listed on the SERP. And yes, this is achievable by searchengines.

B. I would like the SERPs listing the fone numbers of the websites so I can call the website. SE can get paid by the website on a pay per call model. That way, I do not have to clickover to the website and then search for the contactus by fone page.

C. I would like the SERPs listing the chat links of the websites so I can chat with the sales. SE can get on pay per chat model. That way, I do not have to clikover to the website and then search for the chat page.

D. I would like to see the SERPS listing how many visitors the links, listed on the SERPS, currently have. (How many visitors they have sent currently to the link). That way, I can just clickover to the most busiest site as that tells me it's popular than all the other sites listed on the SERP.

E. I would like to see the SERPS listing LIKES,LOVES, DISLIKES, HATES of each link listed on the SERP.

You know what, there are too many things I would want the likes of google to show me but they do not. I won't bore you anymore.

Ok.But that is old stuff.
I meant new stuffs.
I will add some of my own, what I would like to see.
A. Whenever we click links on SERPS and go to the searched website and webpage

... But I am suggesting a world where there are no links in the SERPs at all. The same way you are saying it's a waste of time to have to scroll down, I'm saying it's a waste of time to have to visit the links at all. SERPS should just have answers to our queries. Google does this a little bit with their Answers format, but not nearly enough.

B. I would like the SERPs listing the fone numbers of the websites so I can call the website. SE can get paid by the website on a pay per call model. That way, I do not have to clickover to the website and then search for the contactus by fone page.

Google already does this.

C. I would like the SERPs listing the chat links of the websites so I can chat with the sales. SE can get on pay per chat model. That way, I do not have to clikover to the website and then search for the chat page.

Yelp already does this.

D. I would like to see the SERPS listing how many visitors the links, listed on the SERPS, currently have. (How many visitors they have sent currently to the link). That way, I can just clickover to the most busiest site as that tells me it's popular than all the other sites listed on the SERP.

This doesn't tell the searcher how busy the site is. It just tells the searcher how much traffic that specific search engine sent the site. The search engine might send only 10 visitors to Facebook. That doesn't mean Facebook isn't popular. It just means people are browsing to Facebook directly, or finding it other ways, or that this particular search engine doesn't show Facebook a lot in its search results.

E. I would like to see the SERPS listing LIKES,LOVES, DISLIKES, HATES of each link listed on the SERP.

That's what Digg and Reddit already do. Plus comments about each link.

I'm predicting someone will tie up such as search with an AI like ChatGPT.

Yes, I know folk are panning to outright upset over ChatGPT's release.

Shame on OpenAI for launching this pocket nuclear bomb without restrictions into an unprepared society.”

• Kedrosky via TechCrunch

Some say it’s better than Google. Which upsets even more folk.

It's only a matter of days till someone integrates it into their site. A mashup of Reddit's voting system with ChatGPT would be hard to ignore.

I'd like to see the elimination of ranking based on payments to Google.

I'd like to see the elimination of ranking based on payments to Google.

Google shows paid PPC ads every X search result links (e.g. above their search results, halfway down the page, and at the bottom of the page) but, unlike the former GoTo.com, you can't pay to rank in Google.

My mistake. I was conflating that with the top-list results which are actually ads.

@dani

have you tried ChatGpT ? Imagine a searchengine hooked-up ChatGPT via their api and provide answers like you suggested.
I only came across ChatGPT a week ago.

Yes, there's quite a handful of posts I've made about ChatGPT in these forums over the past handful of weeks.

I didn't sleep much so unfortunately I don't have the mental capacity right now to find and link to them.

True, chatgpt is dope and never worked with something like this before

@dani

Thank you for your feed-back on my features. You're feed-back is spot-on.
And now I fully understand your suggestion:
"But I am suggesting a world where there are no links in the SERPs at all. The same way you are saying it's a waste of time to have to scroll down, I'm saying it's a waste of time to have to visit the links at all. SERPS should just have answers to our queries."

It is a very good idea!
if you come-up with any more then do drop-by here!

@rproffitt

Yes, I am new to ChatGpt./ Have not tried it yet. Saw a vid showing the server is always busy and users frustrated and we should use instead:
beta.open-ai.com/playground.
But I see this on the same website and so do not understand how this not busy too. Anyway, have not tried it yet. Might aswell get it to build my searchengine.
If you come-with any more brilliant ideas then do drop-by here!

@reverend jim

Thanks for feed-back.
Mmm. What kind of ads you would not mind seeing on a searchengine ?
And anymore bright ideas you would like added to a searchengine ?

Folks,

I am thinking of tailoring my searchengine so both websites listed and users (searchers) earn money from using it some-how. Any new bright ideas ?
Right now, pondering about cpm and cpa. Must add features so cpa marketers can somehow earn from it.

What kind of ads you would not mind seeing on a searchengine

Let me be a little more precise. It's not so much the ads I mind, after all someone has to pay for the service. I would just like to see them separate from the search results. When I do a search I don't want most or all of the first page to be links prefixed by Ad. The ads may be relevant to the search, and they may even be the most relevant, but for all I know they may be there only because google was paid to put them there.

Back in the 1990s, GoTo.com would allow websites to add a little HTML snippet search box. We would get paid 2 cents each time someone performed a search from our site.

The ads may be relevant to the search, and they may even be the most relevant, but for all I know they may be there only because google was paid to put them there.

On the Google Ads side, you have to pass a series of quality and relevancy thresholds in order to pay for placement. And, even then, your ad doesn't show up if it doesn't consistently convert for web searchers (in terms of high click-thru rate, low bounce rate, etc.) If you stumble upon an ad that is not directly relevant, please click on the "Report ad" link.

@dani

What did you mean by:
"If you stumble upon an ad that is not directly relevant, please click on the "Report ad" link."
Are you suggesting this feature to me ?

Yes, I myself used to place search boxes on my sites which were supposed to pay me per search. 7search.com etc.
Unfortunately, I struggled to get visitors to my sites.

@dani

Anymore features you thought-up recently ?

What did you mean by:
"If you stumble upon an ad that is not directly relevant, please click on the "Report ad" link."
Are you suggesting this feature to me ?

All ads that are purchased with Google Ads have a Report ad feature. I was responding to the discussion about ads being irrelevant, and how advertisers can't simply pay for placement without meeting quality and relevancy thresholds.

Anymore features you thought-up recently ?

My response back in December was, "More of what Google does (and is doing more and more of) in terms of answering questions directly without having to visit any links." Now we have ChatGPT and the like, and Bing is really embracing integrating it into its search functionality. That's basically the direction I see search going in.

@Dani

Thanks.
But let's forget which direction the search market is going on a general level.
Let's talk about specic level or individual level.
What else, you yourself SELFISHLY would like to see in a searchengine from both searcher's and linked websites (both organic listings & paid listings) point of view ?

From a BUSINESS/LISTED/RANKED WEBSITE point of view, you can reply something like ....
I want to tag keywords/phrases to keep an eye on. So when SEARCHERS search these keywords/phrases, even if my link is listed not on the 1st or 2nd SER page (but something like on page 100), I still want a CHANCE to make them my CUSTOMER. Since my link, in this case, is ranked way too bad then obviously there is no chance any SEARCHER will clickover to my link. I would like your searchengine to somehow bring me that lead. How your searchengine does it, that is your business providing it's done in an ethical way. I want it to miraculously just pass me that lead. PERIOD!
That way, bad rankings of my website for certain high competing keywords/phrase won't matter anymore as I still get the lead.

When a visitor hits the BACK button from my site back to your SERP to try another link (my competition links listed on your SERP), then I want feed-back why the visitor hit the BACK button. That way, I can optimise my page better.
I NEED feed-backs from your SEARCHERS what makes them leave my site back to your SERPs to try my competitions.
How you get the feed-backs is your business. I just GOT TO GET the feed-backs no matter what to STOP LOSING visitors sent by your searchengine.

When a visitor hits the BACK button from my tagged competition site (tagged domain) back to your SERP, then I want feed-back why their visitor hit the BACK button, even if your searchengine does not forward that particular visitor's feed-back to the exited site (my competition).
That way, I can check my competing page listed on that same SERP to make sure I am not making the same mistake as my competition. Mistake that resulted in them losing a visitor.
I NEED feed-backs from your SEARCHERS what makes them leave my competitions' sites back to your SERPs.
How you get the feed-backs is your business. I just SELFISHLY NEED THE FEED-BACKS TO GET AN EDGE OVER MY COMPETITIONS (who are LISTED UNDER THE SAME KEYWORDS/PHRASES).

I need a list of keywords & phrases that resulted in purchases/orders made to my competitions by your SEARCHERS who visited them after exiting my site hitting their BACK button.
I want to SELFISHLY SNOOP on my COMPETITIONS winning keywords/phrases.

I need a list of keywords & phrases that resulted in purchases/orders made to my competitions by your SEARCHERS but not to my website, regardless of whether these visitors visited my site or not.
(Maybe my link was listed way too below on your SERP where SEARCHERS did not see it but saw my competition link instead who were better ranked than me. I still want the list of those winning keywords/phrases that resulted in sales to my competitions).
Again, I want to SELFISHLY SNOOP on my COMPETITIONS winning keywords/phrases.

I need a list of leads who ordered/purchased from my competitions after exiting my site (using their BACK button) back to your serp.
I want to SELFISHLY SNARE my competitions CUSTOMERS so when it's time for them to re-order again from my competitions (cos product has run-out) then I want them to THINK OF MY WEBSITE instead of my competitions. I want to STEAL their CUSTOMERS.

Ok, above is what I would like to get google do for my listed website on their searchengine. If they asked me how they can help my business grow, then I would have given them the above 6 advantages.

I am too tired now to write SELFISH ADVANTAGES from a SEARCHER's point of view. Maybe some other day. Ok ?
I have given you some ideas, see if you can improve them. I have a few more up my sleeves but I ain't openly revealing them here. Got to make them trade secret. Else, some other programmer will beat my to it at my own game.

This just in, DuckDuckGo has rolled out DuckAssist which is another take on the move away from the usual Google search behemoth.

Technology changes at breakneck speed so keep up or risk being left behind.

That said, I think I've made D mad about my take on the AI/ML that rolled out late 2022. But the more I looked and used it along with the people in my circles embracing it, it was clear this is a huge change in how we search and augment what we do.

commented: I’m not mad about your take on AI. I agree we are just at the cusp of huge transformations across many industries. +0

@rproffitt

Sorry! I did not understand your last paragraph. Care to elaborate ?
English is not my first language so do not speak in brief points as I hardly understand them (regional language). Do explain in detail.
Frankly, I do not think DDG will be able to blow any fairsize dent on google. I reckon they will go bankrupt soon.

It was my brief take that buggy whip producers, promoters and resellers are up in arms over changes underway in the market. For years you needed buggy whips but then this new thing has appeared that I don't always need a buggy whip. This change in technology is upsetting to a multi-billion dollar buggy whip industry.

And this happened in record time (example read https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/02/chatgpt-sets-record-for-fastest-growing-user-base-in-history-report-says/ )

This is a direct threat to this industry. Can it be saved? I don't know but I sure won't miss using the buggy whip.

@rproffitt

I do not think tech before chatgpt is buggy. Anyway, why you call it buggy whip ? Whip ?
And, where did you signup to chatgpt 3 and did you need to give fone number to signup ? How to signup without giving fone number ? You know ?

Read https://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=5508260&page=1 for example. I did not write that the buggy whip industry will evaporate in 2023 but it is changing faster than expected.

SEO will still be effective for hard products but knowledge based sites may be in peril.

For hard products not much has changed. Have good products, service and easy to buy with fast shipping and you'll survive.

why you call it buggy whip

Buggy whips are a metaphor. When everyone rode horses/buggies, buggy whips were used to encourage the horse to ride faster. As cars took over from horses, buggy whips were no longer required so the buggy whip manufacturers either started making something else or they went out of business.

Then again, considering this perhaps there is still a market.

commented: That and things that work fine until they don't. +0

From a BUSINESS/LISTED/RANKED WEBSITE point of view, you can reply something like ....

A lot of the things you touched upon here are already doable with Google Ads and Google Analytics. Third-party tools (SEMrush, etc.) are already using Google's APIs so that you can track keywords across your competition. You might also be interested in Google Trends.

When a visitor hits the BACK button from my site back to your SERP to try another link (my competition links listed on your SERP), then I want feed-back why the visitor hit the BACK button. That way, I can optimise my page better.

It is already possible to use javascript to prompt your website's users when they hit the back button. However, doing so is an incredibly poor user experience, as well as very frustrating, for the end-user.

@dani

A lot of the features I listed previously are do-able in Google Ads but not do-able for every links listed organically on their searchengine. So, they only offer these benefits to those who have deep pockets. I was talking about providing the features/service to every links listed organically. Let google, bing, ddg beat that!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.