You know christina, you really intrigue and make me laugh:) . I am pretty glad you changed your mind about leaving. I really do encourage you to be yourself and never give up. OK?:cool:

Aww... well thank you very much! :)

same. i think you are a nice person and a positive influence on the site

> I got a book on vb6
Any reason you are not into a real programming language. Most of the people who learn VB6 do it for maintenance of old projects.

VB6 is the langiage most colleges etc... use to get people who have never programmed before into programming

VB6 taught in colleges, you have got to be joking. Has the world run out of decent languages to be taught to beginners?

Yep vb6 is taught as a students first language, then later they move onto java,c#,c++ or assembley

*Grasps*
*shivers*
*Hides away in the shadows*

Hmm...If I ever see ~s.o.s~ lurking in a dark alleyway, I think I now know how to ward him away.

Oh, it gets better. Two year college in my case, starting programing language was QuickBasic. Although in fairness, I do think that one got phased out at the end of the year...

Schools are coddling newbies these days. What ever happened to having assembly as your first language after first passing a few courses of higher math? If I went to college, I would probably get kicked out for laughing at the professors and correcting them constantly.

same. i think you are a nice person and a positive influence on the site

thanks a bunch.. :) you are too!

math ;(

i failed at maths but excel at my programming course

Math hates me.

same. I got B on the lower grade paper when I was 16 and left it there and now im coming back to regret it. To do anything computer at uni i now need to get a C in science and like B in computing at 6th form.

Right now, my average in Algebra II is a high B, but it makes me mad because I try so hard to achieve an A. :(

Math hates me.

Remember to put the other cheek ;)

I love math. I'm getting into Calculus and I think it's interesting but I don't really know what kind of jobs I can get with it, (except teaching math). I'm sure there are plenty of jobs out there that use it, I just can't think of any.

Engineering and Pharmaceutical.

why do you need calculus for it?

im taking chemistry and comp/sci and i only need B at maths at 16

Any reason you are not into a real programming language.

VB6 is a 'real' language. I don't like the syntax anymore, but I had a respectable job for 7 years using VB 6 and VB Script, we did lots of great things with it. You're such a typical purist ~s.o.s~ :icon_biggrin:

Most of the people who learn VB6 do it for maintenance of old projects.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement ! and widely off the mark. I'm surprised at you for this throw away line.

@Hollystyles:
I've messed with VB6 before, at college. Now, I mostly use Delphi. Is there anything VB6 offers that Delphi doesn't? From what little I remember of my VB classes, they're pretty much the same in terms of immediate interface, and I'm finding the Pascal backend programming on Delphi to be easier than the backend programming was on VB6.

Yeah, in terms of RAD vb6 and delphi are very similar

I like VB.

Same

back to the post a while ago, i do maths AS level ~ why did i do it?!? ~ I do physics so they force you to do a silly sub 'maths' course ~ u get some UCAS points for it but not as many as if you do maths ~ so i choose it last minute :( i hate Core 1 ~ no calculator - boo

VB6 is a 'real' language. I don't like the syntax anymore, but I had a respectable job for 7 years using VB 6 and VB Script, we did lots of great things with it. You're such a typical purist ~s.o.s~

I have two parameters on which I gauge a language - earning a living and appreciating the beauty of the language. VB no doubt is a great way of earning a living, but I particularly find that it doesn't actually teach me anything or makes me think in a different or innovative way. Lisp tops the list when it comes to actually learning something, but alas...

That's a bit of a sweeping statement ! and widely off the mark. I'm surprised at you for this throw away line.

That was not a generic statement, but a something which I see at my place. At your place it might be a different thing, but here, the word VB6 rings only a maintenance bell.

Is anybody in here a chemistry major? I know that when I get to college I want to major in some form of chemistry. I'm just not sure whether I want it to be organic, physical, or inorganic.

I'm thinking about taking Advanced Chemistry and AP Chemistry next year, but I'm not sure yet. I know I'll have to have lots of it in college for what I'm going into.

If my college offered Advanced or AP Chemistry I wouldn't hesitate. By the way, what's the difference between AP and Advanced at your school?

Umm.. you have to take Advanced before you can take AP and advanced basically just means honors. AP - you get college credit.. (I think).

Oh, and I meant I might take it next year at my high school, I'll be a senior.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.