This may look as a very silly question, so be it.
I recently was advising a new member to read the rules, but to my astonishment I could not find them myself!
Tried different search terms and other ways, believe me.
Perhaps a clearly visible button?
Nice greetings to everyone out here! :)

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Did you try scrolling to the bottom of the page?

Yep, they are at the bottom of the page, or you can use these links:

Rules or Terms of Service

Rules is there in the footer of the page.What are you confused with ddanbe??
This is a clear sign of stress. :P

OK thanks,but I seldom go to a bottom of a page. Perhaps it is my screen?
Perhaps it's me? Stress? It must be stress from not working anymore, because I'm retired :)
OK thanks all you lovely people!

I think it used to be at the top. IMO it could be displayed a little more prominently, at least for newer members.

It was moved from the top to the bottom because it was taking up valuable real estate at the top and yet never clicked on. It receives just as much traffic with a link just at the bottom.

at the top and yet never clicked on. It receives just as much traffic with a link just at the bottom.

Hi Dani, so it never gets clicked on?? That's a pity IMHO, because it are good rules!
It is somewhat like the constitutional law of DaniWeb, everybody should click it all the time, even to reread it.

Hi Dani, so it never gets clicked on?? That's a pity IMHO, because it are good rules!

They are good rules and plenty of users follow them but unfortunately there is always a spammer out there...

I agree about being at the top. Rules. Nothing else, should be at the top.

Member Avatar for diafol

As Dani says - it was at the top and very few people clicked on it. From the forums I frequent, this was pretty obvious as directing posters to the link was a pretty common event. Having moved the link to the bottom, I don't think it's made any difference. Unfortunately, it seems users having used other sites take it that they know how forums work and that the rules are pretty standard across and therefore they don't need to read them. As ddanbe states, they're pretty good rules and it's a shame.

Of course, many users wouldn't bother with them anyway. I can drive! Driving a tank is like driving a car, who needs instructions?! Not comparing DW to a tank, though :)

Are the rules popped up on registration? I know other sites insist that you click a checkbox to say that you've read this and that. How about a checkbox for each rule? Or would that be silly? I realise that the reg process should be as slick as possible to avoid drop-outs.

I recall a piece of software I installed at the office years ago. I think it was adTempus. When Ii got to the screen with the licence agreement I immediately checked I Agree and clicked Next. I was given a pop-up that stated "Ae you sure you read it over? You were only on the page for 4 seconds."

As Dani says - it was at the top and very few people clicked on it.

If you want something to remain unread, don't label it "Top Secret" or "Don't Click This". Instead, label it "Rules", or "FAQ", and you'll guarantee that nobody will click the link regardless of its location.

I'd be willing to bet that the majority of clicks for the rules link comes from moderators.

Member Avatar for diafol

I recall a piece of software I installed at the office years ago. I think it was adTempus. When Ii got to the screen with the licence agreement I immediately checked I Agree and clicked Next. I was given a pop-up that stated "Ae you sure you read it over? You were only on the page for 4 seconds."

I saw something similar a while back. Very good :)

If you want something to remain unread, don't label it "Top Secret" or "Don't Click This". Instead, label it "Rules", or "FAQ", and you'll guarantee that nobody will click the link regardless of its location.

Psych major?

I suppose you could give an user an award for reading it. Or a badge. There was a site once, I thinkit was some pro photo upload site (istockphoto??) that tested its proto-members on the rules/regs. They weren't allowed full status until they passed the test. I failed. Ten times. Sod it.

I suppose you could give an user an award for reading it. Or a badge. There was a site once, I thinkit was some pro photo upload site (istockphoto??) that tested its proto-members on the rules/regs. They weren't allowed full status until they passed the test. I failed. Ten times. Sod it.

I'd totally write something like that if I thought it had any chance in hell of not being vetoed by Dani. ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.