I've temporarily disabled the live preview when posting in the DaniWeb editor.

I've been really looking seriously into why contributions to the forums have been ever-decreasing and so poor lately, and I was able to trace it back to a complete night and day difference the day that we switched from vBulletin to our own editor.

I reviewed some of the history from around that time, and there were a few complaints that the live preview was really lagging on slow computers. I dismissed the issue because we use the same live preview script as Stack Overflow does, and they don't seem to be having any issues. However, I thought it can't hurt to run a one or two day test and see if this really is the cause of our problems. If so, it's a rather easy fix to all of our troubles, wouldn't you say?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I prefer it without the preview actually. Not because it's slow, but because I have to click or scroll down to get to the Reply button.

You were actually always able to click on the preview to hide it so that you wouldn't have to scroll down to get to the reply button.

I know, but depending on where you click, you might hit an accidental click on one of the links. And I don't like to click it away, because I never use it anyway ;)

I prefer it without the preview actually. Not because it's slow, but because I have to click or scroll down to get to the Reply button.

Same here. I know I could hide the live preview but it was a nuisance to have to do it every time. This was especially bothersome when we were editing the thousands of badly formatted posts. Perhaps this could be an option in the user profile (enable/disable live preview) with a default of disable.

Member Avatar for diafol

I remember running some scripts to hide the live preview and liked it better that way. Since the editor itself gives some feedback of formatting anyway, the live preview did strike me as a bit of an overkill. But theat's just a personal opinion. It was pretty cool to see it formatted in real-time, but the novelty wore off.

I didnt care for the live preview but that doesnt mean I dont like to have a preview before I hit the reply button. It would be nice if the preview was hidden by default and to click on a preview button where you can see the end result prior to posting. I suspect that without that many will post, then edit a few times before it looks just right, at least those members that care about aesthetics.

No promises, but I'm looking to see if I can have a button that you click to Preview (instead of live), and the Preview will highlight spelling errors. Working on it, but I'm going to have to leave shortly to go to the bimonthly DaniWeb meetup. This week, we have someone demonstrating a 3D printer and doing some fabrication demonstrations.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.