Hi,
I am new to SNMP and am currently required to design an SNMP based NMS. SNMPv2 has a predefined number of messages that can be sent to an agent (like get,getnext,getbulk,set etc.). Is there a way to extend these messages or define new kinds of messages.

Can I send a new code(other than those defined by the SNMP protocol) in the "Message-type" field of an SNMP message if I knew the agent would be able to understand it ? Is there any problem with this technique ?

Thanks in advance for ur help.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

You have a define a new MIB object, use some MIB compiler to generate skeleton code for server and agent and fill in the skeleton.

You have a define a new MIB object, use some MIB compiler to generate skeleton code for server and agent and fill in the skeleton.

But defining a new MIB gives me new OBJECTS. If I am using snmp, the types of messages still remain the same (GET, GETNEXT, SET etc).

My question is -- when a GETNEXTRequest message is BER encoded the Message-type field has a value of 'A1'h (corresponding to GETNEXTRequest). Can my NMS send a message with BER encoding of say 'AA'h if the agent is also designed by me and it would decode this message as some special message (say some kind of control message).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.