Hey guys/girls.

I just bought a domain from https://www.123-reg.co.uk and assumed it was going to be easy to upload my own .html file and set this as the home page on my domain.

I have the option of Framed web-forwarding, which I have done - directed to a .html file uploaded on a file sharing website.

But the file I have set as my html (http://www.4shared.com/file/31274683/5cd5c36e/index.html) shows only the download page for that file...

I don't quite understand how I can get my own html page displayed on my domain?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Did you bought just domain or also web hosting space from the company?
How do you upload you documents to what ever provider you use?
Also file/31274683/5cd5c36e/index.html look like unwanted prefix you should remove to correctly display you index page. What I mean is that it does look like you uploaded whole folder structure from what evet editor you used to created your pages and you should upload only the level where are your HTML/PHP/ASP documents plus what ever attachment you got with them...

Did you bought just domain or also web hosting space from the company?
How do you upload you documents to what ever provider you use?
Also file/31274683/5cd5c36e/index.html look like unwanted prefix you should remove to correctly display you index page. What I mean is that it does look like you uploaded whole folder structure from what evet editor you used to created your pages and you should upload only the level where are your HTML/PHP/ASP documents plus what ever attachment you got with them...

Thanks for your reply Peter.

I purchased just the domain + email. As for uploading files, I simply click an upload button on my http://www.4shared.com online drive space. From there the file is uploaded to some drive online where I can access my files anywhere (with internet), and share with whoever.

I have created a html page (some time ago) and guess that I need to purchase some web space to upload my web page root directory and use Framed web-forwarding to forward my URL to the .html page I uploaded to web space. Would this be a correct assumption?

Also do I NEED an ftp client to upload to web space? Or can I just do as im doing and place the file online for download and use that as my home page?

Thanks once again

Most of the hosting companies provides some way to upload, some better then other. However usually they will allow to use ftp client. It is realy up to you what is your preference.

Hi again Peter,
I would like to use FTP, only I am not so sure how. I have already downloaded SmartFTP and am unsure what information it is asking me for and where I can obtain that info?

When I registered the Domain, nothing was said about FTP transfer info.

When I try and connect to my Domain using SmartFTP, the log prints the following....

No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

Where should I go from here?

Regards

FTP client need address where to connect that usually look like ftp.peterbudo.com , then the name of host directory often directory /public_html and username and password. It is common practice to set FTP client in passive mode

Thanks Peter you have been most helpful!

I have read through the documentation on the domain sellers site, as well as what you have helped me with should be enough to get me on my way for now!

Just one more question though, if I buy my domain from 123-reg.com and I buy webspace elsewhere, will I have to pay to have my domain transferd? Or can I simply link my .html page from any web server?

Thanks again

Your webhosting company will need details of your domain to set them on their system. In these days it is often free transfer and they will tell you what they need. Also you may need to make changes to DNS (Domain name server) don't know 123-reg com and co.uk are same company, but they support team should be able to help you. What they will need is the names of primary and secondary DNS given to you be webhosting company

You will need to do the folowing things.

1) Get web hosting (4shared.com is just a online storage website so you can save files online so you will need to get a hosting account) By the way i can provide hosting for a small fee please pm me if you are interested.

2) Once you get a hosting account you will need to direct your domain to your hosting companies dns server. So go to your domain companies website in your case https://www.123-reg.co.uk and change the name servers to the ones your hosting company specified.

3) Allow upto 24 hours for you dns setings to update

4) upload your website either through ftp client or through the control panel.

5) you have your website online and ready to go

Hope i helped woth your question

Thanks all for your responses! I think I have enough knowlege to go from here!

Drinks on me :D :D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.