What software or service would you recommend to start a social forum? I already own the domain name. Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

What software or service would you recommend to start a social forum? I already own the domain name. Thank you.

If you know the features you want check out forummatrix.org, you'll be able to compare all the different community forum software

I used phpbb for several sites i've created and i'm pretty happy.A lot of resources on the net an a friendly support forum on their site.
Also know that it really easy to work with and install.

Thank you so much for your help!

I am starting a new forum, and am using vBulletin software. In the automotive community at least, it is probably the most widely-used forum software. You can get more information from their website: www.vbulletin.com

yeah VB is the most popular paid one, and PhpBB or something like that is the most popular opensource one.

IMHO VB is better in the long run

Out of the Open GNU GPL stuff, PHPBB or MYBB would probably be the best option. But I say again goto forummatrix.org

Most forum software provides an easy way for you to upgrade from a different forum software. However, sometimes it's not as clean as it could be and things break. Also, you might not get all features transferring over (private messages, for example).

I would splurge for a vBulletin license for $160.

If you do have a bit to invest and you are hoping to get it as big as daniweb you should be looking looking at vbulletin...that's pretty much the smartest choice, if you are hoping to start with as little expense as possible phpbb would be good, as dani said it's pretty easy to upgrade later, just export the foum db in your cp and import it into your new forum software

vbulletin is the best for building a forum. But if you are looking for free scripts, phbb is the most commonly used forum script.

Since no one has mentioned about SMF(Simple Machine Forum Software), I will be the first person to recommend you to use SMF if you are looking for a free software. It has rich features and simple interface.

http://www.simplemachines.org/

As I am also thinking of creating another forum of mine related to Sports Car. I think I would be using PhpBB for it. My first one has vbulletin on it. So I think, basically these two are the leading script.

I like both vb and phpbb as well, they have tons of customizable options that can have your forum looking individual and spiffy. vb's a little pricey but a much nicer interface imo

Since no one has mentioned about SMF(Simple Machine Forum Software), I will be the first person to recommend you to use SMF if you are looking for a free software. It has rich features and simple interface.

http://www.simplemachines.org/

I would recommend SMF too, Its a great little forum.

Both Vbulletin and phpBB are Search Engine friendly as well as user friendly, so choosing any of this wont be a problem for you.

I highly recommend grabbing a vBulletin license for $160. It is definitely worth it.

starting a forum is easy but getting visits is the hard part.

i am up for phpbb, free and all the good features.

For something simple and very Web 2.0ish, you could also go for www.getvanilla.com

Very impressive! In fact I am tempted to switch from phpbb. However it does seem more suited for websites that are a lot more than just a forum.

yeah! i am a vbulletin freak :)

I got two words for you
vBulletin software

and
good luck

Use phpbb their latest version is cool. Why i am suggesting you phpbb is i just recently used it on my new forum it was cool. Once its start growing and you see its success then you can think of vbullent. check this out http://www.forummatrix.org/compare/phpBB+vBulletin you will see for $160 you are hardly getting anything in the start.

vbulletin will be your best bet in the long run.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.