khipucoder 0 Newbie Poster

Hello to all at Daniweb, good to meet all of you and especially those that can help.

I am a programmer, but not a web one so please remember this when you provide any responses.

I am currently trying to set up a web site that allows members to develop homebrew project groups, and store photos and project information. I also want members to be able to communicate within their groups and have a forum open to everybody.

Now, I was going to use Joomla along with Mediawiki to provide the project areas but it seems that support for Mediawiki is very basic from Joomla. So then I wandered about writing my own initial pages and integrating Mediawiki and phpBB but I can't find any information on membership sessions (I want people to log in once and be able to navigate between the various applications without logging in again).

Does anyone have an opinion on this? Do you have a recommendation different to the two options I have considered? Or is one of my options the best way to go and can you provide any additional advice on setting up a membership site?

Membership will be free and funds will be collected through advertising at some stage but initially everything will be free from this site so I don't need any ecommerce options just yet.

Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.