Hi,
I work at a school which has a very simple network, so each computer in the network has an IP like: 192.168.... If i want to have two computers where I only have one port, can I get a gateway (or router...not sure what they're called) which has additional ports?

The reason I'm asking is that usually those devices (gateways/routers) define another private network (192.168..), and it's getting to a network that already is private (the one I mentioned above), so will that be ok??

I'm quite new in this area, and would really appreciate if somebody could help me.

Thank you.
Sonya

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Stylish

You can use a 8port switch & use the same network (ip range) in any port
You not need a router for it . Any calrifications mail me.

tks
Daminda

Hi,
I work at a school which has a very simple network, so each computer in the network has an IP like: 192.168.... If i want to have two computers where I only have one port, can I get a gateway (or router...not sure what they're called) which has additional ports?

The reason I'm asking is that usually those devices (gateways/routers) define another private network (192.168..), and it's getting to a network that already is private (the one I mentioned above), so will that be ok??

I'm quite new in this area, and would really appreciate if somebody could help me.

Thank you.
Sonya

Sonia Its Much easy Just Buy a 5 Port Switch conect it with your existing switch using Simple Straight Cable and attached the Computer with the Same IP addresses to this switch you want single port , in this case you will have 3 moreports.:icon_razz:

if not able to do then Call me on my Cell I will tell you through the rest of the procedure 0092333-4669564.

Zoraid

Please look up "daisy-chaining" or "piggy-backing" switches.

Connecting switches to switches is an accepted practice for expanding networks.

As someone above mentioned, you will want to check your switches' manuals to ensure there are no special requirements:
- Some switches have a special port for daisy-chaning
- Some switches require a "crossover" cable/wire
- Some switches automatically detect when daisy-chained and require nothing

Good luck!

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.