I have a cable modem supplied by my ISP that I have a Trendnet TEW-432BRP wireless router connected to. This router supplies one desktop pc (Trendnet USB Wireless adapter) and one wired desktop and everything works perfectly. What I want to do is connect another desktop pc to the network but it is in an area where running Cat5 cable is impossible and it is only temporary so purchasing a PCI wireless adapter is wasting money. I have another Linksys WRT150N wireless router and I would like to connect it to the Trendnet wireless and then run a cable to the extra desktop pc. IS this possible? Connecting to wireless routers together without using Cat5? The 2 routers would only be 40 feet apart.

Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks

PS. All pc's are running XP Pro except the one I want to add which is Windows Me (for now)

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I was under the impression you could buy items that would extend the range of your routers wireless capabilities.

Sell Gold

hi slash49er, most wireless routers specially those sold for home use are designed to act as access points only. There are only 2 ways on how you could hook 2 or more of these routers, either using cables or wireless bridges.

slash49er-

Hooking two wireless routers via wireless is not going to work for you. There are some of these units that will allow this but they have two radios. These are much more expensive and normally use one radio at 2.4GHz and the other at 5GHz. Using one radio as backhaul (going to the other router) will work but in a home situation, you end up with interference from numerous devices like wireless phones, which are now at both frequencies.

But there aren't many good solutions for what you want to do. I tried to use a Linksys AP (access point) at the other end of my house and, even though the manual says specifically you can hook this up wireless, it won't do it. I tried blog after blog and they all said there were problems and it wouldn't work so I ended up running a cable to it - now it works perfectly - but that won't solve your issue.

What does work is what thomas_12 suggested. The range extenders do work and put in the right location to extend the signal 40 feet, that should work for you.

Otherwise, you'll have to deploy some kind of wireless bridge (which is simply an ethernet connection without the cable)...and that will work perfectly, although it's going to cost you some $$.

zeroth

Thanks for this info. Although the weird thing is that when I connect the third computer(Win ME) to the Linksys router I see that computer on the DHCP table of the Trendnet router(and the two routers are not wired together). But there is no way that I can get them to communicate. All IP's are in the same subnet. but no communication.

What do you see in the Linksys dhcp table? Sounds like you have a wireless connection back to the Trendnet...at 40 feet that's very possible. What's physically between the Trendnet and the 3rd computer, walls, floors, glass?

btw, the IPs get passed around from both routers...you're not going to be able to talk across them...they're different subnets coming from 2 different router tables.

I'm guessing that you wired the 2 routers together connecting router 1 to router 2 using the Internet or WAN port. If this is how you did it, then those connected to router 1 won't be able to talk to those computers in router 2.

Having the same IP and subnet on 2 different routers cannot be done if you're using both as router and not the other as a switch. If you want then to talk to each other, you'll have to change the IP on router 2 and open file sharing ports on router 2. that's the harder way tho. You can also turn off DHCP on router 2 and connect router 1 to any one of the 4 or 5 regular ports.

If you already have the wireless bridges, then connect the wireless bridge (on router 2), to a regular port and not the internet port on router 2. You'll also have to turn-off DHCP on router 2.

Hope this helps. If you need clarification, call this number 1-877-787-8749 and tell the tech guy that you have a promo code called "supportcall". you'll get a free support call. these guys know exactly what i'm talking about. they won't stop until you're all set-up.

Thanks!

What do you see in the Linksys dhcp table? Sounds like you have a wireless connection back to the Trendnet...at 40 feet that's very possible. What's physically between the Trendnet and the 3rd computer, walls, floors, glass?

btw, the IPs get passed around from both routers...you're not going to be able to talk across them...they're different subnets coming from 2 different router tables.

Physically there is a about a 25 foot open run, then a former exterior wall(extension added on house) then 10 feet on other side of the wall.
What is weird is that the Trendnet router is my main one. The 3rd computer is cabled to the Linksys, but there is no physical connection between the two routers but yet the 3rd computer shows up in the Trendnet DHCP table. The 3rd computer has no wireless card so the DHCP from the trendnet must be getting through the Linksys(DHCP disabled, static IP) to give an address to the 3rd pc(obtain IP automatic). But other then that IP address there is no communication whatsoever. No DNS, No Ping, nothing.

I'm guessing that you wired the 2 routers together connecting router 1 to router 2 using the Internet or WAN port. If this is how you did it, then those connected to router 1 won't be able to talk to those computers in router 2.

Having the same IP and subnet on 2 different routers cannot be done if you're using both as router and not the other as a switch. If you want then to talk to each other, you'll have to change the IP on router 2 and open file sharing ports on router 2. that's the harder way tho. You can also turn off DHCP on router 2 and connect router 1 to any one of the 4 or 5 regular ports.

If you already have the wireless bridges, then connect the wireless bridge (on router 2), to a regular port and not the internet port on router 2. You'll also have to turn-off DHCP on router 2.

Hope this helps. If you need clarification, call this number 1-877-787-8749 and tell the tech guy that you have a promo code called "supportcall". you'll get a free support call. these guys know exactly what i'm talking about. they won't stop until you're all set-up.

Thanks!

I have not connected the two router together with cables. I am attemping to do it wirelessly. I have shut DHCP on router 2, gave router 2 a static IP , but have not opened a file sharing port. Gonna try that.

Physically there is a about a 25 foot open run, then a former exterior wall(extension added on house) then 10 feet on other side of the wall.
What is weird is that the Trendnet router is my main one. The 3rd computer is cabled to the Linksys, but there is no physical connection between the two routers but yet the 3rd computer shows up in the Trendnet DHCP table. The 3rd computer has no wireless card so the DHCP from the trendnet must be getting through the Linksys(DHCP disabled, static IP) to give an address to the 3rd pc(obtain IP automatic). But other then that IP address there is no communication whatsoever. No DNS, No Ping, nothing.

1) Was the 3rd computer ever connected to the Trendnet router?

2) What do you see in the Linksys DHCP Client's Table. You should be able to see this from the computer cabled to the Linksys router.

3) Are you setting the static IP from the Internet Setup section of the Linksys command screen or the Network setup screen?

zeroth

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.