I have two networks in my home. The setups are as follows.

1st network (N1)

cable modem#1 --- router --- various pc's, xbox, security cameras.

2nd Network(N2)

cable modem #2 --- firewall --- 24 port switch --- various pc's and mac's

My question is, How can I connect these two networks so that I can use Network Attached Storage as a central data backup for all pc's connected to both networks.

I was thinking of using a switch and connecting the router of N1 and the switch of N2 to the switch by cable, and then connecting the NAS to the switch. Would this setup allow for all the pc's to see and use the NAS for down/uploading media and data files. Also are their any security issues as N2 has a hardware firewall and is my business network. Would I be Breaching my own firewall by connecting the unprotected network via switch.

Also, My ultimate goal is to have a single storage capability where all users on the network can share and use it. I have a NAS system in mind, but if there is an alternate way of achieving this goal that is easier and not as expensive, please share.

Also, I am not completely literate in networking lingo, so if you could speak in lamens terms I would Much appreciate it. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

You would have to put the nas on the cable modem side of the firewall connect the 2 modems and nas by a switch open the port in the firewall to allow traffic to got back and forth to the nas. But now you need to make sure all you ip's don't conflict and that router 1 picks up the right ip from modem1 and what ever it the router on modem 2 picks up the right ip. But I don't understand why you are paying for 2 internet connections in 1 building, you should use 1 get 2 static ip's and save 100 bucks a month

ok I see what your saying. by putting my nas on the unprotected side of my firewall, wouldn't that make it vulnerable?

The reason I have two separate modems is because the firewall was restricting the bandwidth so much that it was lagging the other computers in the house. It was cutting down 15 mbs to a little under 3mbs, and with close to 15 other machines on it, it was just easier to pay the $25/month to have the other modem. Plus, my kids play games and what not on their pc's and I didn't want them to corrupt my separate business machines.

Instead of having two seperate network on your an paying more, you could have gotten someone to configure VLAN's on your switch, your childrens computers could have been one one VLAN, your business computer's on another VLAN, then you also use or implement Access Control List (ACL) to restrict access to some resources, so all in all you have one network.ACL can also work together with your firewall in providing securities for your resources.it only needs good network planning and implementation.Though all these might sound to technical for you, talk to a good network administrator to help out cos this saves you money ,time and stress of running two networks

no no no

If you want to stick with 2 networks do this.

option 1
Network 1 = 192.168.1.x
Network 2 = 192.168.2.x

In network 1's router create a static route to network 2's router.
In network 2's router create a static route to network 1's router.

Connect the lan ports of the two networks. You should be able to ping from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.2.x

If you have nice routers / firewalls you can configure then to only allow access to your nas from the other network. This would be setting up an ACL.

Option 2 is to create a vpn between network 1 and 2.

I decided to just create a ftp server instead, it was just easier.

I decided to just create a ftp server instead, it was just easier.

Good for you. Keep it simple at the home :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.