Being a website owner, and developer, I often get emails from companies looking to promote their new product, have me enter into their affiliate programs, or other offers. In most cases, I don’t respond, and I didn’t in this particular situation. I was, however, interested in their product.

Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., some company based out of Atlanta – (Just another small business trying to make it, they have a few stations such as CNN, TBS, TNN, TCM, and Cartoon Network) – has launched a new Internet gaming venture, called Gametap. Supposedly, it’s going to revolutionize the way computer games are distributed.

From popular console games, to retro arcade games, and even hot computer games, Gametap claims they will have it all. A promotional video on their shows old games and new; from Pac Man to Splinter Cell, and King Kong to Crazy Taxi.

What does this mean for boxed video games? It’s not yet clear. From the sounds of it though, video game playing just got a whole lot cheaper.

Pricing for Gametap (which will likely be a subscription) hasn’t been made available yet on their website. Some reports have said the price will probably be $10 to $20 per month, with others reporting it to be $14.95. Once subscribers opt out, they are no longer able to play any of the games.

TBS says that games are stored locally on subscribers' computers via proprietary Gametap software, so no cross-network lag will occur. In addition, the games are supposedly going to be very secure. (Until somebody hacks the Gametap software, but that’s a whole different blog entry)

Initially, roughly 300 games will be made available. Turner claims to have licenses for almost 1,000 titles as of May 2005, and says it will add new titles to Gametap weekly.

A Gametap press release also said that original “Turner Content will also be provided to subscribers, via streaming video. Video segments will be interviews, advertisements, game trailers, and other promotional material.

I’d be interested in learning what percentage of streaming content is advertisements, (be it product placement or real ads) and what percentage is everything else. Obviously, that’s not being talked about yet.

To watch the pseudo-trailer of Gametap, visit this link.

I don't think this is really gonna go anywhere. Why would anyone want to pay for games that they could easily download emulators for? I wouldn't even pay $10.

Looking at the trailer, I only saw two remotly modern games, and even those were years old. It looks to me like an expensive multi-console emulator. I guess maybe some people who really care about doing things absolutly legallly would consider this.

And really, I'd rather just buy an old Atari, or Super Ninendo. The games are so much better with their original controllers. Its just not the same with a keyboard.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.