Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP is a recommended upgrade that fixes many issues (mainly security related). It includes all of the Critical Updates that have been issued since Windows XP was released, which should simplify new installations as well as reinstallations.

This thread will help you decide if you should get SP2, how to prepare for it, and some things to expect if you do.

First, make sure you meet the system requirements:

At least a 233MHz processor
At least 64MB of RAM (256MB is more realistic)
At least 1.8GB of free hard disk space (SP2 is about 75MB, but apparently needs 1.8GB to install)

And you must be using one of these Operating Systems:
Windows XP Home
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Media Center Edition
Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
NOT for Windows XP 64-bit version

Once you are sure you meet these requirements, go to this link for a list of known conflicts with SP2:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2

If you are using any of the programs with conflicts, you need to decide if you want to go ahead and deal with any problems, remove the conflicting programs, or wait for patches to come out before installing SP2.

Once you have decided to upgrade to SP2, there are two options:

1.) Download, which, due to its 75MB size, will take awhile, even with DSL or cable.
-- Click on Start and look for Windows Update near the top of the list or;
-- Go to www.microsoft.com and search for the SP2 update or;
-- Turn on Automatic Update by going to the Control Panel, double-click System, click on the Automatic Update tab, check the box next to "Keep my computer up to date."

2.) Request a CD from Microsoft at:
www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx Or
http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#ordering_the_service_pack_on_a_cd
Of course, this means waiting for delivery by snail-mail, but installation will be much quicker and you’ll have it if you ever need to reinstall Windows XP. Also, if you have dial-up, you won’t keep your line tied up for hours or have to worry about being disconnected (not that that ever happens, right?).

alc6379 commented: Great work! --alc6379 +3
Killer_Typo commented: great stuff here. thanks for teh info on the SP2 --KT +1

Recommended Answers

All 74 Replies

Cool. Great Work! Let's make this thread sticky!

commented: not directly related to this post. but related the fact that your a key member and always giving out good help. --KT +1

You might want to add that there appears to be an issue with 64bit AMD Athlon processors, particularly with some older drivers, (like the Sigma Realvision Mpeg decoder card's drivers, for example). It, apparently, has something to do with the new DEP (Data Execute Protection), which so far only AMD's latest processors have.

Here's an SP2 problem, and a link to a workaround, for anyone getting ready to update to SP2:

If you are running a recent version of DiVX, and you install SP2, you may experience crashes when you try to right click your mouse.

If you have this problem, go to the link I've provided below, where you can find a workaround for this issue until the guys at DiVX fix the problem.

http://forums.divx.com/viewtopic.php?topic=60618&forum=5

Happy computing to you all. ;)

Here's an SP2 problem, and a link to a workaround, for anyone getting ready to update to SP2:

If you are running a recent version of DiVX, and you install SP2, you may experience crashes when you try to right click your mouse.

If you have this problem, go to the link I've provided below, where you can find a workaround for this issue until the guys at DiVX fix the problem.

http://forums.divx.com/viewtopic.php?topic=60618&forum=5

Happy computing to you all. ;)

thanks for the info.

Thanks for the information

My pleasure. :)

An article I read not too long ago about SP2 and its encounters with dell computers. Here is the link:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/windows/0,39020396,39165428,00.htm

For those that don't really want to read it, its basically telss you how people with dell computers (mainly laptops) have had performance decreases. I have noticed on my computer too, it being at 2.8Ghz (800FSB, 1MB L2 Cache) was running alower then my PII 450Mhz.

Another great resource is slashdot, they have user posted comments about the current article, aswell as more info on it. here is the link:

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/09/03/1842252&tid=201&tid=128

Hopefully this is of some assistance to some.

Good read, though I didn't find it surprising. Thanks for sharing that, DMR.

...though I didn't find it surprising.

Yeah- I don't think any of us will find it surprising, but just think of the miilions of users who will swallow MS's advertising hype, install SP2, and compute happily ever after because SP2 is keeping them safe and sound. :mrgreen:

Several posts in this forum seem to have a common theme: problems with spyware after installing Service Pack 2 (SP2). Though Microsoft's new security update package is mainly about protecting systems from worms, viruses and spyware, it can't do much about what's already on these computers – and that's what's causing problems.

Microsoft is warning users of Windows XP to check for spyware before downloading SP2.

Barry Goff, a group product manager at Microsoft, said some spyware could cause computers to freeze up upon installation of the update.

Programs such as AdAware and Spybot can help remove spyware, and it would also be a good idea to run hijackthis and post a log in the security forum for review before downloading SP2 (sorry about creating more work for the HJT techs :) ).

Microsoft recommends that users clean their PCs of spyware and back up their data before turning on the auto update feature that automatically downloads SP2, or downloading it manually.

Good find, thanks for sharing that, dlh6213!

tris3u. Am splitting your post out to your own thread. Please do not piggy back other members threads :). You will better recieve help by starting your own. Thank you for understanding.

If anyone has any additional information or solutions to SP2 problems please post them in this thread.

If you have any questions about SP2, or are having any trouble after upgrading to SP2, please start a new thread.

If anyone has any additional information or solutions to SP2 problems please post them in this thread.

If you have any questions about SP2, or are having any trouble after upgrading to SP2, please start a new thread.

Yes. This particular thread is meant to be informative more than anything else; it is not the place to post questions concerning specific SP2 problems.

Any questions in the technical forums should be posted in their own separate thread. New questions should never be asked in an existing thread unless the question is being asked by the member who originally started the thread.

Thanks for understanding.

You might want to add that there appears to be an issue with 64bit AMD Athlon processors, particularly with some older drivers, (like the Sigma Realvision Mpeg decoder card's drivers, for example). It, apparently, has something to do with the new DEP (Data Execute Protection), which so far only AMD's latest processors have.

DEP can be disabled completely with a boot.ini file edit. Where is has /NOEXECUTE = optin, chance to execute.

WAit a second, there's a problem with SP2 and AMD 64 processors?
Going to get a whole newsystem tommorrow that includes a AMD Athlon 64....any way to get around said problem with SP2?

Upgraded to SP2 and now Defragment doesn't work? Try this:
Go to the Control Panel and open Administrative Tools; double-click on Services, scroll down to Windows Installer, right-click on it and select Properties. Change Startup Type to Automatic. Reboot and try Defrag again.

For links to more advice and tips, check this thread:
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread11701.html

(Thanks to Catweazle)

An article I read not too long ago about SP2 and its encounters with dell computers. Here is the link:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/windows/0,39020396,39165428,00.htm

For those that don't really want to read it, its basically telss you how people with dell computers (mainly laptops) have had performance decreases. I have noticed on my computer too, it being at 2.8Ghz (800FSB, 1MB L2 Cache) was running alower then my PII 450Mhz.
Hopefully this is of some assistance to some.

Rather on the same note, since it may be a Dell laptop issue - I have a Dell Inspiron 5150, I was doing a complete re-install of the OS the other day, and patched everything up before bothering to install other software. Microsoft Office 2003 could not complete installlation with SP2 applied :eek: - it asked if the (default) install folder was had permission/was there, checked and everything fine. ReInstalled OS and all software then patched, works fine now ;)

I heard that SP2 has problems with your already installed firewall like mcaffe or whatever!That SP2 goes head to head with your firewall & had to uninstall the service pack b/c of it!Have u heard of any problems like this?

You didn't need to uninstall SP2 because of this, you just need to disable the XP firewall as McAffe (as well as most others) is better anyway. The XP firewall is better then nothing for those that don't have anything else. You should give SP2 another try.

commented: good info for those smart enough to read this deep into a sticky post +1
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.