Sometimes you see a story and it surprises you. Sometimes it seems like the obvious thing, for many people. And sometimes it concerns something you'd been talking about for months, and why on earth didn't they think of this before?

The news about which I'm particularly pleased falls into the latter category. He won't remember as he has many followers, but I was exchanging notes with UK celebrity chat show host Jonathan Ross on this very subject via his Twitter feed. He'd mislaid the power lead for his e-book reader and was wondering which, if any, of the cables in front of him would bring it back to life.

And now Europe is going to insist that most mobile phone manufacturers should offer a standard power cable, as distinct from the 30 different varieties we get over here at the moment. This is seriously good news. Why not go further, though? My TV, DVD player, stereo, computer, printer all take different adapters. There's surely a case for streamlining at least the ones that take the same voltage?

The BBC's coverage is here.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

My TV, DVD player, stereo, computer, printer all take different adapters. There's surely a case for streamlining at least the ones that take the same voltage?

Its not voltage thats important, its the ampage and earth requirements that matter.

And there already is some standardisation. Most pc and hifi stuff uses IEC plughs. For example most desktop computers and monitors use standard C13 / C14 plugs which are the same as "kettle plugs" except they do not have a heat resilliance requirement

That's not quite what I meant. My daughter has a Sony laptop. If she loses the power adapter, as she did once, can I take the one off my Samsung and plug in with that? Can I heck, it doesn't fit, pure and simple.

Thats laptops though. The reason being that there is no easy way to do so.

My lenovo laptop has a very small power adapter. It can be small because it only needs to supply 70w. An XPS happens to have a very large (and expensive) power brick because it needs over double that/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.