i got a new hard rive installed, but i now have no sound. I went throught the troubleshooting, and nothing seems to work. when i go to the control panel and open sounds and audio devices it is all greyed out and i cant open anything. The trouble shooting that i wen through says that all of my devices are working.

I am running windows XP

please help....

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Right click my computer and click properties > Click the hardware tab > Click device manager.

Are there any ! or ?

1)If there are double click the device and see who makes it, etc.
2)Go to the device creator's website and go to the drivers section.
3)Download the drivers for the device.
4)If it doesn't auto-install them for you, go back into device manager and double click the device that had the ! or ? Click the driver tab and click update drivers
5)Go to the location where you downloaded the new drivers and select them

I would go into device manager and click the + where you see sound, video games, and controllers. I would then update the drivers for all the audio devices (question marks or no question marks)

p.s. Did you set the jumpers on the HD correctly?

Hope this helps

ShaneMcP

i found the ? in the device manager but it says multimedia audio controller, but it does not have a name of any kind.

under device type it says: Other devices
and manufacturer unkown,
the location says: Other devices

if you have any idea of what i am saying please help me

i realy appriciate your help

Right click my computer and click properties > Click the hardware tab > Click device manager.

Are there any ! or ?

1)If there are double click the device and see who makes it, etc.
2)Go to the device creator's website and go to the drivers section.
3)Download the drivers for the device.
4)If it doesn't auto-install them for you, go back into device manager and double click the device that had the ! or ? Click the driver tab and click update drivers
5)Go to the location where you downloaded the new drivers and select them

I would go into device manager and click the + where you see sound, video games, and controllers. I would then update the drivers for all the audio devices (question marks or no question marks)

p.s. Did you set the jumpers on the HD correctly?

Hope this helps

ShaneMcP

What kind of PC do you have? Compaq, HP, Dell? Check their website and search for the model number of your cpu, then check the drivers or software section. There may be a set of drivers you can download, in this case you would open device manager and go into the location of the set of drivers and download them. You could always send the company an email with your CPU type and model number as well as operating system and ask them for the driver for the multimedia audio controller.

Lastly, you could try checking for info. in the other audio devices, in which case you could go to their website and look for a set of drivers.

Hope this helps

ShaneMcP

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.