So I have a main drive which is a SATAA or ATA drive. Im not sure! Im installing a new IDE drive which is just a replacement I got for my old drive that died.
When I attatch my new drive, I get a message on startup to choose the proper boot device and restart. I go to setup, and my main drive (SATAA?) doesn't show up on the boot priority list. When I startup and goto boot priorities without the new drive attatched though, it does show up. So since I cant put my main drive as the first boot up device while the new drive is installed, I cant get into windows and use the new drive since it keeps telling me to choose the proper boot device.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Check the jumper settings on the new drive and make sure you have set the new rive to be the slave drive.

having two master drives on the same channel will cause conflicts and cause one to cancel the other out.

bear in mind that when installing cd/dvd drives too

Check the jumper settings on the new drive and make sure you have set the new rive to be the slave drive.

having two master drives on the same channel will cause conflicts and cause one to cancel the other out.

bear in mind that when installing cd/dvd drives too

yeah, I've tried setting it to master as well as slave. Both dont seem to work.

ok, it could be a faulty IDE cable in that case or a faulty controller on the mobo. most likely to be the cable i think.

here's an idea you could try and see if this works.

set both the hard drives to master settings and the cd drives to slaves. then install one master drive and oner cd drive on each cable. we'll get you there eventually somehow.

well Im not sure which cables to use. The main hard drive isn't using an IDE cable, the one cd drive is on one and the new hard drive is using another that's not being used by anything else.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.