I ALWAYS hear that Wordpress is the best for blogging and even building other sites. I'm currently in favor of Joomla as it does everything I need it too out the box with very little extras and configurations. I'm totally happy to switch to Wordpress if you can convince me that it is truly the best. I am a designer so I would like to design and code for Joomla/Wordpress in the future and I heard that Joomla is a hassle to code for (is that true?) and how well can you code for Wordpress?

Thanks for everything in advance :D

Recommended Answers

All 29 Replies

I ALWAYS hear that Wordpress is the best for blogging and even building other sites. I'm currently in favor of Joomla as it does everything I need it too out the box with very little extras and configurations. I'm totally happy to switch to Wordpress if you can convince me that it is truly the best. I am a designer so I would like to design and code for Joomla/Wordpress in the future and I heard that Joomla is a hassle to code for (is that true?) and how well can you code for Wordpress?

Thanks for everything in advance :D

I would like to go with Wordpress, its easy to use. I have created 3 blogs in wordpress.

It is tough to choose the best between these two. Still I will go for Wordpress only. From my point it is bit more user friendly than Joomla, so far it is like this as I'm dealing with wordpress more than Joomla.

Wordpress is good but is not truly the best. There are creators creating a better blog now just that it is not ready yet to be for public use

I still don't see why I should switch. Any reasons why you like it?

So, Jingda, you have heard of a new blogging platform coming soon? Please tell us.

I hardly use blogs but i like creating website using free domains.

There is one blogging platform coming out and is designed by my friends. There are many more too, you just have to search for it.

Check out this for the top 5 blogging platforms.

Both have their own positives, basically it's not what is best, it's what is best for you. So if you are comfortable with joomla use it, if you know wordpress inside out use it. Both can be used to create any kind of site.

@ Jingda - When can I found out more? What sort of free domains? Funny that, I saw that article today before I went on Daniweb :D

@ Vinya ... - Can you please tell me their pros and cons?

Thanks all thus far.

Weebly or webbs are a good start. Try and google searching it for how to create a free websites. That is what i meant by domains

Heard of them and used them too. Thank though. I've done the search before and am looking to do more :)

Have joined this forum just to answer this. ;)
SEO point of view: WordPress.com gets a record of 102 million views a day.
Usage: 14% of the WEB is using WordPress so it is leading by far considering the rest are other CMS and static HTML pages.
Some of users: The New Your times, eBay, Wired, CNN, Yahoo!, People magazine, Sony, etc...

WordPress is not just a blogging system having thousands of plugins and themes available, plus it is loading much faster.

So i believe you know my opinion.
:)

Second issue about coding.
You just go to WordPress codex and you will have all info needed there. You can as well download one of the themes for development (like toolbox) and start adding extras and tweaking CSS. It's that easy.

For any other extra functions for your clients like shopping carts, etc, you'll find plugins that you can easily customize.

No really knowledge is needed this is why people is loving it.

Plus you mentioned that everyone is speaking about WordPress. Your clients will hear those things too and they will ask you to make something for them on that platform. Why? Because the end user usage is simple and straight forward.

As i have said wordpress is good but not the best. You can also google for other ways to set a new websites. Some of the web builders are weebly or wix. Wordpress is not truly the best but better than average. i see that you are using tumblr as well, that is quite a good blogging platform.

It's really easy to post a blog in wordpress, but getting everything else to play nicely can be frusterating. I understand the loop and all that, but once you start trying to widgetize everything, style your php and make paths to this file and that; then wordpress becomes as complicated ans a 3 headed dragons digestive track. I havent gotten to far yet on this one SNIP

But you can do everything you can do in Wordpress in Joomla; I'm impressed but not convinced to change.

So jingda, what is the best? Yes, I do like tumblr for our site. Our views have skyrockted and people are distributing our content (as in letting others know and stuff); we never had that on blogspot.

When we're ready for the next phase, so far, we will move to Joomla - But I am looking at the options.

Thanks a million everyone :D

Although, many people think that the Wordpress can be used for blogging only, you can easily configure it to work in many other ways. Also, to install that CMS on a server is really easy. That way you will allow people, who do not have any knowledge in web development to create their website for just a couple of hours. Furthermore, you will not have to develop additional scripts to get the comments of other visitors for example, because they are already built in it.
But some negative things Wordpress has is that it does not provide suitable workspace for developers, because when you try to make some modifications in it, for example to create a shopping cart, the whole system is likely to crash. Furthermore, you will not find proper advice from the Wordpress community, because they mainly complain about the features of that system. Also, upgrading your existing system, you will usually end up having a lot more bugs than you used to.

Joomla on the other hand is one of the best content management systems for designers, web developers and administrators. That system allows all its users to create great looking websites and also it is really easy for use, by beginners. Furthermore, there are many developers, who create tools, which rapidly improve the performance of Joomla. If you are a developer, you can choose that system, because it offers large capacity for customization and development. Joomla’s features are constantly improving in the past 3 years and so you will enjoy many more features. However, when you take a look at the user interface of that system, you will find that actually is not so easy for use by people, who do not have any idea of web development and also it is far from user friendly.

In conclusion, I would like to say that the choice between those systems depends on the purpose of your website and also on your knowledge of web development and design. In addition, when you compare the simplicity of both those systems, you will notice that working with Wordpress is a lot easier, so there are many beginners, who choose it instead of Joomla.

Wow, Cloris, words of wisdom. I would say I am an experienced developer of several areas.

I do agree with you on Joomla, took longer than usual to learn the UI; normally, I learn UIs in merely seconds. Though, I have to admit, the CMS has excellent and detailed help-guide when your in need - Though it is better to outsource.

Wordpress is far too simple, and for any functionality, I need lots of plugins. How easy is it to turn it into a fully-functional CMS? Infact, this reminds me of Apple and their UI in their products ... known for super-simplicity.

Though I don't know if I most of their products, designed for general consumers, is actually powerful as their counterparts - I find it too simple. Not sure if I am explaining it right :/

Thanks thus far.

Joomla is a very powerful and robust CMS and also it has a HUGE extensions DB and a HUGE community.

I would tend to agree with the suggestions of Joomla/Drupal for the more technically inclined end-users, or developers etc that may need constant changes/updates/customizations/new features etc. Wordpress is great for the more non-technical end-users to add valuable content and to self-update and maintain the site after initial customizations have been performed etc.

Wordpress is the best one from my point. Using it for past two years. :)

Drupal is another option that I have been considering. I, and the team, are technically-inclined users that don't mind complexity. Though we do must make it top priority for the end-user to find it simple.

Any others that anyone has been considering?

Thanks thus far.

In my point of view and from my experience wordpress is the best platform in content management system and it has a great future in IT market.

According to me Joomla is the best..it has more attractive tools..

I agree that "the best" is a term that everyone is going to define in a different way. Maybe ease of use or which one are you more comfortable with is a better survey question. I also think that "the best" doesn't take into account what is best for you personally as a blogger. Your answer will possibly be completely different if you are only posting your granny's cake recipe than if you are a professional blogger posting for a fortune 500 company. New platforms will always emerge for different users with different needs. That is a fact.

I am completely in favour of wordpress. It is best in most ways:

1. Plugins
2. Themes
3. Best design
4. Flexibility

Wordpress it is.

I totally agree with you, Coloradojaguar. Though I am mainly asking for a reason along with the opinion. I can't just take this and that is best.

I see alot of you are saying Wordpress ... But why?

Yes,WordPress is the best for blogging and build sites,It's easy to use.I have created 3 blogs in WordPress.

Yes,WordPress is the best for blogging and build sites,It's easy to use.I have created 3 blogs in WordPress.

How many other systems have you used? Which ones? What were their drawbacks?

Excellent question you ask WaltP

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.