Hello All,

I'm a new member here at Daniweb and have been looking for an IT related forum to ask this question:

In your honest opinion, employee, employer, etc., do you think it matters what college one obtains a degree in Information Technology from when it comes to high amounts of competition?

One I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question. If not could someone direct me to a forum that could assist me in this question.

Two if this is a good place for the question let me add a couple details about myself.

I am currently looking at Uni South Carolina and looking at their Integrated Information Technology degree with a minor in business from their highly regarded business college.

(http://www.sc.edu/admissions/learn/majors/integratedinformationtech.html)

To go along with this even though it probably does not pertain to the question but I'm an IT Intern at the college I'm attending (A freshman/sophomore college in Wisconsin).

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

do you think it matters what college one obtains a degree in Information Technology from when it comes to high amounts of competition

As in my opinion , The fame of the reputed college will only help you to the extent of getting a job . But ultimately , it is your talent and hard work that will mould your future.

After you get into a certain position in your life , i think no one cares about your college and from where you have been graduated.

All the best.

In your honest opinion, employee, employer, etc., do you think it matters what college one obtains a degree in Information Technology from when it comes to high amounts of competition?

Realistically, it can matter. Most of the time it only matters that you have a degree, and in IT related fields that's usually only for your first job. Every job beyond that will probably care more about your experience than your education. But it all depends on the employer.

most employers expect a starter to have a degree, not so that they can prove they know "the stuff", basically, they don't, couldn't and aren't really expected to, but to show they are capable of learning new things on a short time, absorbing enough information to pass the exams.

but sure, there are (some) employers who will only take graduates of certain institutions, but after a few years, your experience will do the talking.

IT education is becoming more and more diversified – the college you go to is important but the program you choose is equally important. Colleges that offer programs reflecting the current market job needs are obviously hot. For example, Stevens-Henager College offers IT programs with a choice of emphasis in networking, programming, social media technology, and information systems security. All of these are very in-demand career options

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.