I was wondering if there were any USB powered web cams for the Raspberry pi that are specifically No-IR. I know about the camera module which plugs directly into the board, I was wondering however if there are any alternatives, usb powered so I could perhaps plug in more than one camera simultaneously. RPI has application logic, so I can use C# + Mono to code some .NET apps to use the cameras. I also anticipate eventually the RPI will have more memory allocated to subsequent models, but even if they don't some of the newer versions have 1gb of RAM, so I don't anticipate any problems. One of the most intersting things that I have learned with No-Ir cameras is that many things have IR Distance sensors (lasers) built in which you wouldn't necessarily want to have as close to your face as they frequently are. Point and case... Iphones/droids and the light sensors on the fronts of them.

So basically guys, a NO-IR camera can see wavelengths that we can't.

Also if you find any code/books which regaurdless of language discuss camera operations please post info/titles/links etc.

I also got an error while compiling a library on a linux development virtual machine. If anybody knows how to get make to build correctly that could be very helpful.

devmint-virtual-machine rflechner-raspberrycam-2fa7c69d10aa # make
cc -shared -fPIC RaspberryCam.o log.o src.o src_file.o src_raw.o src_test.o src_v4l1.o src_v4l2.o  parse.o dec_jpeg.o  -lgd -o RaspberryCam.so
/usr/bin/ld: RaspberryCam.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata.str1.1' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
RaspberryCam.o: error adding symbols: Bad value
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [RaspberryCam] Error 1
devmint-virtual-machine rflechner-raspberrycam-2fa7c69d10aa # 
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.