Hi all
I wonder if someone can tell me if there is a simple way to transfer all my hard drive files to another computer.

I`m contemplating a new computer but dont want to start reloading it all. (micro money saved downloaded programmes etc.

I`ve heard about memory and flash drive sticks.

Do I need one of these?

Or is there a simple way using a usb cable from one computer to the other?

Hope someone can help.

Regards

sabatas

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

There are many ways of transferring your data.

• If you have an network card in both computers, and a spare ethernet cable, you can create a 2-computer network which you can use to transfer the files.
  • If the computer in question has a CD/DVD burner, you can transfer them that way.
  • A memory stick usually won't have enough capacity, so the transfer would be long and laborious. A flash drive is a much better alternative, although it will cost a bit more.
  • If you're feeling handy, you can take out the hard drive of the old computer and connect it to the other hard drive in the new computer. You can then either copy the data, or just leave it as a 2-hard drive system.

If you have any questions please ask.

Hi all
I wonder if someone can tell me if there is a simple way to transfer all my hard drive files to another computer.

I`m contemplating a new computer but dont want to start reloading it all. (micro money saved downloaded programmes etc.

I`ve heard about memory and flash drive sticks.

Do I need one of these?

Or is there a simple way using a usb cable from one computer to the other?

Hope someone can help.

Regards

sabatas

watzup

its seems to me that u have quite a decision to make. fristly u have to check how gigs u wanna copy becoz flash disks only go up to 4 gigs. i would recommend that u download norton ghost to copy a mirror image to ur new hard drive.

hope this helps

icom

I've created a mirror image using ghost. Now do I just swap out the HD and re-boot using ghost's emergency boot drive?

JEM

If you want to restore the image on a new harddrive: Yes

Niek

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.