Hello, i am a complete noob so you guys have to explain it to me. I just recently bought a new samsung sp1614c hard drive but i didnt notice that it was SATA. i found an extra power cable and the other cable to connect it to my SATA1 slot on my motherboard, which is a MSI KT6V. When i started my computer, it didnt recognize my hard drive and it says that i didnt install one. Help!

also can u explain raid to me?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

also its brand new but its making a scratchy sound when i try to install windows, is this normal?

Look for the sata driver on your motherboard CD.
You will need to make a floppy with the sata drivers and hit F6 when XP asks about special drivers for Raid etc...

RAID requires two drives...

also its brand new but its making a scratchy sound when i try to install windows, is this normal?

Scratchy sound ONLY while windows install means the hdd is probably OK. Sound all the time means the HDD may conk off. Get it replaced ASAP.

I also suggest running a diagnostic tool like Seagate's Seatools

:?: A Brand New loaded with WIN XP SE2 - The problenm in after some months(7) some times it boots and some times may not. When it is not booting it HD (SATA 120GB) is making a "TIC TIC" sound.

In the BOOT option the HD/CD/Floppy were detected and in the main menu - SATA/IDA, IDA was detected with CD Rom and SATA was not responding "Not Detected".

Message : Intel(R) Boot Agent PXE Base code ( PXE - 2.1 Build 084 )

PXE-E61 Media test failure, Check Cable
PXE-M0F Exiting Intel Boot Agent.

I tried all connectios Pluged / Un-Pluged. Tried to Install and the HD was not detected says "No HD Found"

What else can I do ? I am not from IT and I do not any thing about, except working on it.

Pl help. My mail ID : Ganeshkarra@itc.in

:?: A Brand New loaded with WIN XP SE2 - The problenm in after some months(7) some times it boots and some times may not. When it is not booting it HD (SATA 120GB) is making a "TIC TIC" sound.

In the BOOT option the HD/CD/Floppy were detected and in the main menu - SATA/IDA, IDA was detected with CD Rom and SATA was not responding "Not Detected".

Message : Intel(R) Boot Agent PXE Base code ( PXE - 2.1 Build 084 )

PXE-E61 Media test failure, Check Cable
PXE-M0F Exiting Intel Boot Agent.

I tried all connectios Pluged / Un-Pluged. Tried to Install and the HD was not detected says "No HD Found"

What else can I do ? I am not from IT and I do not any thing about, except working on it.

Pl help. My mail ID : Ganeshkarra@itc.in

If your HD was working fine before, and for no apparent reason seized to work, there could be several reasons for it:

- lack of power - your PSU is starting to loose the output power, or the power cable is not plugged in all the way, or the power cable is damaged. Try replacing the cable if possible.

- SATA cable - could be damaged (some people claim that mere touching the exposed wires is enough to damage the cable). Try replacing the cable.

- failing HD - If your HD is failing, giving that it is 7 months old, it should be covered by warranty.

- you have accidentally plug it in wrong slot. You can disable the SATA slots in BIOS. That would result in HD not being recognized it that particular slot, for the slot is being blocked on the BIOS level.

- corrupted MBR. That can happen for no apparent reason or by user mistake. HD has to have partition(s) and one of the partitions has to be marked as "active" in order to be bootable. Partition information is stored in MBR (Master Boot Record). If it gets corrupted, your HD will be unbootable, thus it would be ignored in boot sequence. This can be fixed via repair console in Windows setup program, with "FIXMBR" command.

- damaged BIOS - BIOS is not able to detect the HD because of the corruption caused by ex. interrupted flashing procedure. Some mobos (like mine) have implemented flashing program that is activated by pressing Alt-F2 while booting. You will need to have BIOS image file ready on the floppy disk. Otherwise, you can make bootable floppy disk with command line in autoexec.bat and BIOS image file on that floppy. (This is useful if you lose video feedback due to bad flash)
BIOS image files and/or bootable floppy images and/or make-disk utilities can be found on your mobo manufacturer's site. You have to be EXTRA CAREFUL to select EXACT motherboard model BIOS.

I, personally, think that your HD is failing. Except for possible data loss, you shouldn't be concerned, for it is covered with warranty. (I think that the HD's warranties go up to 3 years)

If I misunderstood your post, and we're talking about new hardware beeing installed, then you should read this:

Some SATA HDs have jumper for 1.5 G (SATA I) and 3 G (SATA II)mode. Try switching the jumper to 1.5 G or SATA I mode.

If you have nForce4 chpiset and SATA controller, this is expected, for nForce4 has a bug with SATA II HDs. You will not suffer any performance loss with the SATA I mode. That means that the max. data transfer is 150 MB/s. No single HD can achieve that transfer rate. Only multiple SATA HDs (RAID or no RAID) can spike over that rate.

I have nForce4 and SATA II HD, and until I upgraded the HD's firmware, it was unable to work at SATA II mode. (BIOS wouldn't recognize it). That HD firmware upgrade is meant ONLY for nForce4 chipsets and isn't available for download. I had to email the HD manufacturer several times requesting that upgrade.Reason is that the upgrade procedure is NOT REVERSABLE.

P.S. You should've posted a new thread instead of posting in the existing one. You're lucky I've took a look at it.

Hi I recently purchased a Seagate Mometus 5400.2 120GB 2.5 HDD.
Am using a Vizo Paragon 2.5 External Enclosure.
I am uble to get my desktop to recognise the data on it.
Do you think it could be a driver problem or something else.

Cheers
Casa:rolleyes:

Hi I recently purchased a Seagate Mometus 5400.2 120GB 2.5 HDD.
Am using a Vizo Paragon 2.5 External Enclosure.
I am uble to get my desktop to recognise the data on it.
Do you think it could be a driver problem or something else.

Cheers
Casa:rolleyes:

And the problem is...?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.