I'm using media temple grid-server hosting, and I think it has a very particular way of handling htaccess files, which I haven't figued out yet.

This is what I want to do:

make
domain.com/index.php/something/

look like
domain.com/something/

The code I currently have if this:

Options +Indexes +FollowSymlinks
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^(.*)/$ index.php/$1 [L]

That's the only way it works. I get rid of the / in ^(.*)/$ or put a question mark besides it and it will stop working. I've tried codes so it excludes real directories and files, but it will stop working. Also, I wanted it to be able to work with or without a trailing slash at the end of the URL, I've tried all kinds of codes, and again, it will just stop working.

If someone could pleeasee help me I would appreciate it a lot. I've been trying to figure this out for months now.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee
domain.com/index.php/something/

Well can't you use the / as a delimiter to split the string into three parts.

1.domain.com
2.index.php <-- Don't print this
3.something

http://www.phpbuilder.com/manual/en/function.split.php

Then you can just omit printing the second bit? Or am I underestimating what you want it to do?

Also, I wanted it to be able to work with or without a trailing slash at the end of the URL

I suppose you could use regex...

.{1,}(/|[a-zA-Z])$

Possibly - not tested?

If you check your Apache errorlog file when running the code you want (i.e. the same, without the / or with a /?) ; then you'll see a line like this:

[Fri Mar 16 00:54:31 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use 'LimitInternalRecursion' to increase the limit if necessary. Use 'LogLevel debug' to get a backtrace., referer: http://127.0.0.1/whatever

Simply; if you run a redirect for (.*); it will match for every request; including the internal requests for index.php. I didn't use "LogLevel debug" as that error message suggests; but it will do something like:

request: /something
redirect 1: /index.php/something
redirect 2: /index.php/index.php/something
redirect 3: /index.php/index.php/index.php/something

etc; until it reaches the"LimitInternalRecursion" setting.

There's probably more than one way to prevent this; but, here is a way:

Options +Indexes +FollowSymlinks
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^\/index\.php(.*)$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php/$1 [QSA,L]

The RewriteCond line prevents any redirects where the request URI begins with /index.php. REQUEST_URI (URI not URL) is a server environment variable, and its set fresh for every request, to the path from the document root to the requested 'file'. it's important that you take the preceding slash into account.

The RewriteRule is pretty much the same as you had; except it doesn't need a '/' and it uses the QueryStringAppend flag; (means you should be able to silently pass QueryString variables into the redirected request; but, it might not be neccessary; that depends entirely on how Apache handles internal redirection.)

Like I say, there could be other ways; I been messing around for the past half hour trying to find a cleaner solution; but, thought I'd share this with you for the time being..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.