Hey guys, what is the most bizarre computer problem you've ever had?

I just had one this morning where a fellow employee reported her computer gave her a disk boot error. I went and had a look, I figured there might be a floppy in the drive but there wasn't. The only hard drive and cd drive was plugged into the secondary IDE channel, to my knowledge this should never have worked. I simply plugged them into the primary one and it is now running fine, both my collegues said they hadn't touched it.

Weird huh?

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

Clearly aliens took a break from crop circles and maliciously rearranged their wires. That's the only possible answer!

Hee hee.

I'll say! :-| My website will be up soon :D:D:D:D:D!

The most bezar thing thats ever happened to me on a computer is the computer active as if it had some kind of AI. The computer would often do its own thing when you told it to or not do anything at all, it often failed to boot up, start programs, active the mouse or keyboard on start up and loads of other things that I have no idea what happened. This happened for months and I sent it away to the manufactures and they had no idea what was wrong with it ether, they had replaced several fans, upgraded the processer (free of charge :)), upgraded the hard drive and a number of other things. They also gave me a free virus scanner for a year. (loads of free stuff that was of little use)

It turned out to be GTA3 that I had installed on my computer strait away after I got my computer back again. I only relised this after I got my new computer and I had it running find for a few days before I wanted to play GTA3 when I installed it the same problems started to occure. If anyone wants a free upgrade for your computer and your PC is still on warnatty, I have a brillian game for $60 for anyone who is interested. (not really, Im not that stuppid)

most bizarre comp problem....cant say i have found one because computers seem to be able to supprize me every day.

share some with us

Most bizarre eh?

Well of course we've all seen some marvellous things, but one of the better ones I've encountered was a bloke who managed to get his PC so trojan infected and software corrupted that whenever he tried to open a browser link, Word would open up and start typing out a love letter to him on screen!

Be buggered to trying to sort that one out. That called for a format for sure!

(I meant that literally, by the way. It was a bloody love letter!)

Probably when my computer just reboots for no reason lol.

Mine used to do that, it tured out that one of my fans wasn't working correctly and the computer was turning itself off and restarted. I would have thought it should cut out, not restart

This isn't really a computer problem, just something strange that happened. A while back, when the power went out for a few days on the northern east coast, the power went out at the same exact time I unplugged my computer, which I do on very rare occassions.

lol I bet you though you'd done the power supply yeah? Things like that have happened to me a few times. I remember I was on the net during a storm (stupid stupid stupid), I was looking outside and saw lightning strike somewhere near, at the same time I got disconnected. No happy ending to this one, I fried the modem. Now I use power surge protection on everything :). Of course, a better solution would be to maybe, not use it during storms but what the hey.

A friend of mine fried his computer when his house was hit by lightning. In fact all the computers in the house were toasted. They were all off, but none of them sent the phone lines through the surge protectors.

I took a look at it afterwards, his pc was cajun style. The only thing that survived was his video card. The worst of it was his insurance bought him a brand new one. Why can't that happen to me? :)

ok, i have a great story for you guys. For awhile i was running a Guilemont video card. The maxi Gamer Cougar to be exact. After awhile of use it just stoped working and i would get a black screen nothing more nothing less. i could hear the machine boot, but it still wouldnt show anything. After further inspection into my computer i realized that the heat sink had fallen off and so the card was basicly useless. I thought i had done a thorough search of the pc but still couldnt find the missing heat sink. Well i replaced the card and while replacing it, i found the heat sink, firmly stuck to the inside wall of the case. Wierd eh!

yes ... once I started my computer and it formatted the whole hard drive without booting into windows .... I knew it by booting it from the cd rom :DD

I had one motherboard prob where the thing wouldn't post at all. I unplugged everything and tried again. Nothing. I removed the mobo ready to send it back. Decided to have one last try the next day and it worked perfectly.

Weird.

I am not so sure if it actually is bizarre or not, for me it was. I copied a part of my project in a floppy disk. But when i opened the floppy drive in other computers i found NO file at all. It shows that about 737 kb is used(the size of my documents) and the rest as free. But i could find no icon inside the floppy at all. The file was a .zip one and it was not hidden. Did anyone ever experience such a thing with floppy disks?

lol not quite, I remember dragging my work to and from school on floppy's presented to be a bit of a problem though. Because I was running an earlier version of office, there were supposedly compatability issues and every now and then I'd take my work to school and it would just come up as all symbols hehe, got out of handing in poor projects many a time for that one :P

hey i am still having this problem and its a sucker well at least for me cause im new to here and im 12 but my computer freezes alot to much to be exact and some web pages wont even come up and when those web pages do they are blank and link that go to another site or page wont work so it sux but my dad says its our isp ha he not bright when it comes to computers

I had one motherboard prob where the thing wouldn't post at all. I unplugged everything and tried again. Nothing. I removed the mobo ready to send it back. Decided to have one last try the next day and it worked perfectly.

Weird.

almost sounds like you have the voltage set for if u were in the UK (the little red switch on back of machine), but i dunno. all i know is that is one of the symptoms of having it set to wrong voltage. only starts up sometimes. or works works works works. dun work dun work...works works. .random stuff like that.

DO NOT TOUCH THAT LITTLE RED SWITCH !!

Changing the voltage level of the power unit will cause your system to make lots of smoke, a big flash of light and a loud noise, possibly a fire that will burn the building down, and worst of all your PC will never work again!

DO NOT TOUCH THAT LITTLE RED SWITCH !!

Changing the voltage level of the power unit will cause your system to make lots of smoke, a big flash of light and a loud noise, possibly a fire that will burn the building down, and worst of all your PC will never work again!

lol well ive never heard of that happening, but i do know that it can cause a computer to boot. but in all the times ive messed with computers, ive been lucky to never had one catch fire.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.