Hello everyone. I just made what i think is a killer resume for EB in Australia. This will be my first it job (first job ever in fact), so i would like some ppl to comment on my resume. Compliments and constructive critisms will be appreciated. here is the link, u need to right click --> save target as!

http://www.geocities.com/marc3ta/resume.doc

btw, my friends also think that it is good.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Perhaps you can save it to HTML or take a screenshot of it, save it as an image, and put it on a web page. I have a rule against downloading word files off the net unless I know the site very well. Others might feel the same way.

ohh sorry, i didnt know about this rule. here is the image of the first page. Alongside this i have some more sport and good qualitites. A quick reply would be greatly appreciated as i plan on handing it in today.

[IMG]http://img9.exs.cx/img9/8728/resume.jpg[/IMG]

thx again

Well, it's not really a rule, but a lot of viruses are spread through Word macros. Anywho here's what I think you should change/take out:

Personal Information: Take out everything in the personal information section. You want to be hired for your knowledge and skills. If you leave your age, depending what type of job you're looking for, they will stereotype against you and assume you're too young to know anything. Don't put anything about what race you are either. If you do, you're giving the person reading your resume a free chance to descriminate against you - he may not like Serbians and just ignore your resume without you even knowing.

Objective: Leave this here. If you're looking to intern, then leave the words "gain experience" as they are. If you're going in for a job, it's assumed you know what you're doing and the last thing is to gain experience. You should already know how to do the job, so you would put something along the lines of you acquring a position.

Education: Make sure it's in chronological order and put both, the year and month range next to the school. It's better to put your achievements in its own section. Also, don't include the "Future:" subsection. Companies want to know your experience, not what your experience is going to be. I could say that I'm going to be a rocket scientiest and hold 20 PhDs in the future, but that won't mean squat because I have nothing to show for it yet. It's good to think about where you're going to be in the future though. This is usually something you'll discuss during an interview when the human resource man asks you, "where do you see yourself in five years?"

Interests and Hobbies: While I understand that you like playing games, as do I, I wouldn't write that on my resume unless my work involved it, e.g. game tester/support. This section only allows you to put less formal skills that might help you on the job. If you put "reading, playing the piano, the arts, photography, and sports," the reader will assume that you're a well read person (you like reading books), who knows about culture (you like the arts and photography), and is in shape (you like sports). This is not something a person could ever assume if you just write "likes playing video games."

Languages: This section is good. Leave it as is. If you create a section called "Skills," you might want to put it there also.

Volunteer: You might want to rename this to "community services." Also, if you could list more, it would look better.

Extracurricular Activities: Not really necessary. It's more optional. By the time you reach this section, you'll have already said that you play basketball and enjoyed discus throwing (in the interests and hobbies section), so it may sound redundant.

Other advice I could give you is to make sure your grammar/syntax is correct. Also, you may consider rewording some things to sound more professional. Also, if the job you're applying for asks for anything that I told you to omit, than you should by all means include it in.

Hello Peter,

Agree with incissor on his discussion. I would include personal information such as phone number, email address, and address. I hope that you have them on your internal copy, but left it off for the web for privacy reasons. Get rid of the big RESUME on the top -- they know that it is a resume.

Also, leave out the boilerplate PAST: PRESENT: stuff. As Incissor suggested, order things chronologically. Yes check spelling too -- although American / British English have their own colourful expressions :)

You mention programming, but do not specify any programming languages.

You might also want to go to your college's guidence department, and ask an opinion there. Do not be in a hurry to submit a rushed resume -- take the time to get it right. This is your first impression.

Christian

well thanks everyone, a shame that i was too hastey in handing them out (i did them all today, without refering to these tips). Now i wait and see if anyone is interested.

Ooh, bad move. Well, you're still young, so you'll learn. Never ever send out documents like these unless you're absolutely sure it's perfect, or as good as it can be. By that I mean that it has been looked at by many eyes, and has been criticized thoroughly. I read three books on creating resumes, and had it reviewed by about 10 people, who worked in human resources, my career field, and business fields. I also had it reviewed by an English professor.

The fact that you're 15 might be an advantage to you however. I never thought about creating a resume until I was 19, and neither did most of the people my age I knew.

Incissor is right. I have hired & fired more staff than I can count, and the resume is kind of like a first impression, and you always want that to be a good one. It can make all the difference as to what consideration the potential employer has for you.

Personal Information -why is this still done I will never know. As a general and fairly worldly rule. Never include anything that states your age, sex, weight, or ethinic origin, as you may not be considered on this point alone. Why? Because maybe the employer is affraid if they interview you and you do not get the job, that you will persume they didn't hire you on one of your personal feature (or even consider you for the position....i.e. interview) and that opens up the discrimination debate.

Those details do not mean you will or will not be able to do the job. So that is the general rule to go by. What info do I need to present that will show me off as the most likely candidate for the position.

One other point. Most employers will spend about 30 seconds on your resume at the max. If they like it, they may spend more time on it. So be concise and to the point!

Good luck in the future!

:cool:

thx again everyone. how long is the average reply time on these things btw? I heard that some 90% dont even reply, is this true?

Yeah that sounds about right.

darn. well i did apply online for a job at Myer and was top 2% on the test, so im fairly sure ill be working there.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.