i am currently in my senior year of high school. i want to go into an IT career possibly in system administration/network admin.

my question to the IT professionals is this. do most it pros go to a traditional 4 year college or just a vocational college (tech school) and get certifications. i want to go to a 4 year im just wondering.

also, while im in college what possible jobs would you think would be available to someone persuing a degree? i am a microsoft certified professional in word, excel, pwrpnt, outlook, access and i am a web developer in php, html, mysql etc.

Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by ithelp

As you're gonna enter engineering field.. Good job...!!! IT is quite wonderful and I'm sure, with your extra qualifications.. you may get a good job with a handsome salary, friend... You may do higher studies after that, may be M. S or whatever.... Good luck

Hi there my advice to you would be to go for the degree, most Universities actually send you to a company.

IT is always booming. I myself started my career as IT consultant , later designer, SEO, and programmer. IT has huge fields and if you put time to it, you can become successful in no time.

Goodluck :)
Clara

first and foremost you have to love the field to get into IT. it's not ahrd work but u have to deal with a lot of stress and some itme angry customers. if you can't deal with working late and long hours and work to meet deadlines don't go for it. as i say if you love it these things will not matter cause you know what u aiming to acheive.

i absolutely love working with computers and i like helping people through thier computer problems. i can deal with stress and i have to meet almost impossible deadlines as a webmaster... thanks for the advice guys

then i beleive you are in the right place. good luck on your search. BTW what is the market like in your nec of the world

Attending a regular 4 year B.S degree is better than that of some it certifications, however when you get few years of it career experience, the basic degree hardly matters.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.