Hi,

What is a simulator after all? Its a piece of software that resembles real life right? Just like the flight simulator used for pilot training etc. But what is the exact difference between an operating system and a simulator that acts like an operating system? Any examples of such simulators? Thanks..

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You mean a virtual machine or a simulator?

e.g people who do the CISCO course have a simnulator where they can configure routers, switches etc... that dont physically exist , its a whole virtual network. People who learn UNIX to be sysadmins generally get a similar thing.

On the otherr hand you can get virtual machines. Virtual machines are actual operating systems, that run within another (e.g you can run linux in xp). To the OS the virtual machine software looks like actual hardware

You mean a virtual machine or a simulator?

e.g people who do the CISCO course have a simnulator where they can configure routers, switches etc... that dont physically exist , its a whole virtual network. People who learn UNIX to be sysadmins generally get a similar thing.

On the otherr hand you can get virtual machines. Virtual machines are actual operating systems, that run within another (e.g you can run linux in xp). To the OS the virtual machine software looks like actual hardware

Hi,

Thanks a lot first of all.

I mean a simulator in terms of software. I am sorry I am not much aware of the whole concept behind it but trying to learn something. One that really got me interested though, the mention of CISCO simulator for the exam of sysadmin. That is great. I never knew that this simulator can be used to practise the sysadmin skills. Can I get a free simulator that can be downloaded off the net and used for Linux. If I want to buy a CISCO simulator where can I get it from and how much would it be? Is it like a cd that you can install? Please guide me further. Thanks again..

Yeah, its software on a cd

theres one about unix admin and you install the software and it opens a program that looks like the command prompt of a UNIX server, and you use it complete the exercices etc...

thats what the cisco one is like, except its a whole simulated network (you use it if you go for the CCNA certification)

ive only ever seen this running at cisco academies though (mainly universities), i dont think its publicly available

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.