I would still like dialup users to see my site. I think when I am done all jpg/gif/text will equal 200-300k, this shouldn't take broadband users more than a couple seconds but what about dialup users? Should I even worry about it? I live in San Diego and most everyone out here is on high speed that I know of. It is going to be a web design site, I will build optimized sites but that is not really my goal with this site. I just want it to be dialup and somewhat search engine friendly...Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

300k? say good bye to any dail up user.

When its all said and done, the average webpage should attempt to be under 50k~ everything said and done, you could get away with up to 100K if you are using external CSS and the same images on every page, the browser will catch them.

I've personally haven't used this tool yet, but it said to be fairly good.

http://www.xk72.com/charles/throttle.html

I'd be a bit more generous than Zachery, but not much

I'd also look at your site closely and see just how much isn't needed. There may be gains through more intense use of styles, for instance.

Care to post a link?

No link yet...How many internet users are still using dialup in the US anyways?

Minstrel is! because he lives in the country

Who is the target market? If it's international then the dialup stats may be quite different.

We have adsl but it's only 256k, the fastest available for residential use - you really notice the difference when you're in a large corporate with proper broadband.

Sarah

Suggestion: sign up for a month with a low cost dialup ISP, ie NetZero, and evaluate your site from your own personal, hands on experience.

Minstrel is! because he lives in the country

Who is the target market? If it's international then the dialup stats may be quite different.

We have adsl but it's only 256k, the fastest available for residential use - you really notice the difference when you're in a large corporate with proper broadband.

Sarah

It will just be a portfolio site and the target market would be San Diego/Los Angeles. I would say a majority of internet users out here are high speed. I think if I keep it under 150k for all pics, etc. I would be okay.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.