Can any one tell me what the avearage cost is to make and host your own website. Would it be possible for you to give me the address of the site that i could get it at.
(anything that doesn't involve credit cards)

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

Well, the cost of a website is a complicated figure.

What are you planning on doing on the website? Will it require any server parsed langagues (php, asp.net, perl, etc)? Will you require a database (MySQL, SQL Server 2000, etc)? How much bandwith will you use (10gb/month, 50gb/month, 100gb/month, 500gb/month, etc)? Do you want a top level domain (.com, .net, .org, .nu, .tv, etc)?

What you basically need is to own a domain, and to pay for web hosting. The price of a domain should be around $10 a year, I use NameCheap to register my domain (which is $8.88 a year). Depending how you answer the above questions, the hosting price will vary. A basic web hosting service will run about $5 to even $150 a month, the more features you need the more money it will cost you. The web hosting service that I'm reccomending to most people right now is from a company named 1&1 Internet, they have a nice package running at $4.99 a month; and it even includes the domain registration (which will save you the $10 a year).

Now, the unclear part of your question is if you want the actual pages of your website to be created by a company, or you want to create it yourself.

Well, the cost of a website is a complicated figure.

What are you planning on doing on the website? Will it require any server parsed langagues (php, asp.net, perl, etc)? Will you require a database (MySQL, SQL Server 2000, etc)? How much bandwith will you use (10gb/month, 50gb/month, 100gb/month, 500gb/month, etc)? Do you want a top level domain (.com, .net, .org, .nu, .tv, etc)?

What you basically need is to own a domain, and to pay for web hosting. The price of a domain should be around $10 a year, I use NameCheap to register my domain (which is $8.88 a year). Depending how you answer the above questions, the hosting price will vary. A basic web hosting service will run about $5 to even $150 a month, the more features you need the more money it will cost you. The web hosting service that I'm reccomending to most people right now is from a company named 1&1 Internet, they have a nice package running at $4.99 a month; and it even includes the domain registration (which will save you the $10 a year).

Now, the unclear part of your question is if you want the actual pages of your website to be created by a company, or you want to create it yourself.

Well what i want to do is make the actual pages myself. I would like to create my own name ie http://www.google.ca. To be honest i don't really know how much bandwidth i need or may need but i'm sure 10gb would do it. Now any kind of paying is it through some kind of bill in the mail or a credit card because i don't have a credit card. I am thinking of it being a HTML. I don't think i'll require a database.
hope this allows you to narrow it down a bit more

With the information you've given us, I'd say about $150 a year. $10 for the domain, and then about $12 for the hosting.

If you have your own bank account, you can pay through paypal as many hosts accept that and it's very easy to do. Although paying through is also fine, but some hosts don't accept that type of payment.

A friend of mine runs a site from godaddy for like $3 a month. In short, it doesn't take much if you don't need a ton of space.

To clarify, perhaps $3 for some cheapy hosting. But then the cost of the domain name is always at least $10/year in addition.

You could always go for free hosting. Believe this or not this site: www.clickherefree.com, allows you to query for size, bandwidth, custom scripting, database support and whatever else you can think of with the advanced search option and returns with a list of free hosting matching your criteria! Call me stupid but I think it's great... however, I am not enlisted with any of the sites lol, but simply because I get asp .net hosting free from a friend of a friend of mine. So just take a look, check it out before you go buying hosting, because there are some really really good deals on here.

These are non-free search engines:

Hope I helped :)

I think godaddy takes checks now. Anyway I seen it on one of their pages. I own over 200 domain names there. I don't host any of my names there because I am my own host but I use them for forwarding. You can own your own website now instead of just leasing it. It'a s trademarked "Quicksitemaker" interface website. email me for details or search for the word Quicksitemaker in Google.

commented: awesome pic man Slade. +36

This really depends on what your goal is. If a small personal site is all you need, I know you can get reasonable web hosting for $5 a month ($60 a year), you'll need a domain name ($8.95 a year), and on top of that a website. If you want a professional designed website, it will become a pricey ordeal, you can always just go buy a little template, or download a free template, cheap templates are about $20. So in all, your total comes to about $88.95 for the setup and just $68.95 a year after that.

You can get free website templates over at OSWD.

Ya know I got to start spending more time here. There are a lot of level heads here. But at the time I am so busy giving away my free gmail invites at another forum. But I will be back. I do have this websites banner on my website pages though.

Have you thought of free hosting!!!!

What will your site be about? i.e. business, peronal, etc

If it is going to be a personal site I would go with the free hosting but if you are going to use it for business i would go for paid cos it will be more reliable than free i have hosted a couple of sites on free servers and they are great for a small site woth hardly any downtime. bandwidth shouldnt be a real problem at the moment for you cos you wont have that much traffic going through your site at the moment but you can always upgrade your bandwith when your site is getting more visitors so yeh 10gb will be heaps but sufficient if i was in your shoes i will go for 5gb B/W then upgrade when needed.

Hope this helps.

Can any one tell me what the avearage cost is to make and host your own website. Would it be possible for you to give me the address of the site that i could get it at.

Hey Rookie1 you can have a look here. iHostcafe.com

Here are some free ones.

Greetings.
Slade, the http://www.clickherefree.com is a great place!
By the way, is there anything such as a self-hosting?
Is it possible to host the website myself provided that I have a domain?

to put a simple number on any web site is more complicated, but depends on what you want, how many pages, i know my company has something called a starter web package, which costs $150 for a complete site made for you.

Greetings.
Slade, the http://www.clickherefree.com is a great place!
By the way, is there anything such as a self-hosting?
Is it possible to host the website myself provided that I have a domain?

Yes, but I'd suggest you use a seperate server dedicated to hosting websites and other stuff. If you need help setting it up, just ask.

Greetings.

Yes, but I'd suggest you use a seperate server dedicated to hosting websites and other stuff.

Why is that so?

If you need help setting it up, just ask.

You mean if I need help setting things up using self-hosting? :-)

Can any one tell me what the average cost is to make and host your own website. Would it be possible for you to give me the address of the site that i could get it at.

1: Your location? 2: server location 3: costs 4: Client side access 5: Server side access 6: SEO submission included ? 7: Front Page 8: ftp / html code maker / Flash 9: All in one interface website? 10: wysiwyg html page creator? 11: PHP/ mySQL availability? 12: 24/7 help online ? There is what information we need to know to help you more. There are many variables involved here in your question. Enhanced Mode not working or this post would look better.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.