This has to be one of the strangest organizations on the web.
I submit URLS, but I never hear any back from them,good or bad. Not even a courtesy auto-responder acknowledging that they received the entry!

A while back, I got sick of it, so I decided if I couldn't beat 'em, I'd join 'em by becoming an "editor".
Well, that was also a mysterious process. A "mentor" tells me to go out and find 3 or more unique new entries for my "area" and do the submissions according to the guidelines. I tried several times but each time one of the three would not be "acceptable" for reasons that they never really fully explained. They never put in the "acceptable" ones either!

Having made it though HS and college, I assumed I was qualified to read and understand instructions. With DMOZ, one needs to read between the lines? Please, somebody, explain this outfit to me!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Right, DMOZ and its staff is really a mystery for me, too. Proudly, my own site has just be included in the footwear directory several days ago.

Have a nice day,

me also getting this problem. how the DMOZ accepting the URL's.

Being a DMOZ editor I can confirm that the signup process is a bit weird. Just take three relevant new links for the section you want to edit and provide good descriptions for them. If they are not good enough, they will reject you, but not always mention what is wrong. The larger the queue for a specific section, the less likely you'll get a response.

The rules for adding a link to a particular section are clear. If the link is not good enough (in the editors eyes), it will be deleted. You will not be notified of this. So, there is no way of telling whether it is already deleted, or still pending acceptance. You'll just have to be patient I guess. If you submit a site that you just started and there is not a lot of info in it, it will definitely get deleted.

My last point, all these editors do their work in their spare time, just as the moderators do here. Please accept that they are only human, and bound to the rules of the site.

Being a DMOZ editor I can confirm that the signup process is a bit weird. Just take three relevant new links for the section you want to edit and provide good descriptions for them. If they are not good enough, they will reject you, but not always mention what is wrong. The larger the queue for a specific section, the less likely you'll get a response.

The rules for adding a link to a particular section are clear. If the link is not good enough (in the editors eyes), it will be deleted. You will not be notified of this. So, there is no way of telling whether it is already deleted, or still pending acceptance. You'll just have to be patient I guess. If you submit a site that you just started and there is not a lot of info in it, it will definitely get deleted.

My last point, all these editors do their work in their spare time, just as the moderators do here. Please accept that they are only human, and bound to the rules of the site.

Thanks for the insight.
I completely understand that the editors are volunteers. However, I have been trying over a period of 3 years! I have the site in the appropriate local category, the text is written according the guidelines, etc.

After a period of 1 year since my last attempt (thought that it would be enough time!) I just resubmitted again.
The site is Joomla framework with lots of info and articles.
What's even stranger, is there is a single page static site listed in the area that I am attempting to get in. How did he make the cut?
I'm just mystified by this process.

In fact , I beginning to suspect that the editor (who hides behind a veil like the wizard of Oz) may be a local web builder who keeps everybody who does not employ him out. I think there is a great opportunity for an editor to abuse his position with this setup.

I have similar experiences in other categories. Although my sites are perfectly in order, they just don't get added. I could apply to edit each category, but I don't see the point in having to become (co-)editor just to get the site added. I totally agree that this is undesired, but I don't see it changing just now.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.