I've recently been contracted out by a company to handle their search engine marketing. They have another guy doing social media stuff and he has an autosurf program sending traffic to the site. It looks great in analytics but knowing how those programs work, i doubt they are converting.

My question is though, can google tell through analytics or other method that an autosurf is being used and will it negatively impact search engine position and ranking in google?

There are no ads on this website, its selling products*

Its not my website but I'd hate to have all of the hard work ive put in go to waste because of some autosurf website generating traffic.

Thanks!
Jeff

I've recently been contracted out by a company to handle their search engine marketing. They have another guy doing social media stuff and he has an autosurf program sending traffic to the site. It looks great in analytics but knowing how those programs work, i doubt they are converting.

My question is though, can google tell through analytics or other method that an autosurf is being used and will it negatively impact search engine position and ranking in google?

There are no ads on this website, its selling products*

Its not my website but I'd hate to have all of the hard work ive put in go to waste because of some autosurf website generating traffic.

Thanks!
Jeff

Hey Jeff. I did a bit of research about this. Autosurf is a watered-down Ponzi-like scheme that will stop operating after no new investors can be found. As you mentioned, the traffic generated from such foolishness would likely be useless.

My hunch is that if a search engine can detect some kind of link exchange or association between the pyramid participants then any off-site ranking influences as a result of participation would be negated (not penalized but not rewarded either).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.